Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black Screen at LightDM login prompt

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Binary-Synapse

Black Screen at LightDM login prompt

#1 Post by Binary-Synapse »

Hello.

After a clean Debian10-amd64 Buster installation, I get a black screen instead of the graphical login manager (LightDM).
Kernel=4.15.0-3-amd64 (stock kernel)
Desktop Environment=Xfce 4.12.2-1
Display Manager=LightDM 1.18.3-4

Some additional info:
1. Although I get a black screen, the system is indeed running, because if I go into tty and press CTRL+ALT+DELETE the system reboots. Also, if I use an external monitor I can see LightDM.

2. If I add nomodeset and remove quiet from the kernel boot parameters in GRUB, the system loads LightDM most of the times, but not always. It seems to be random.

3. Tried to manually compile Kernel v4.16.3 with:
CONFIG_DRM_GMA500=m
CONFIG_DRM_GMA600=y
CONFIG_DRM_GMA3600=y
Unfortunately I get the same results... which means: if I add nomodeset as a boot parameter it boots sometimes.

4. With Debian9.4-amd64 Stretch and the stock kernel 4.9.0-6-amd64 everything runs great, but if I upgrade the kernel to Debian 9.4 Backport's version 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 the same problems reappears.

The computer being used is an old Intel Classmate Laptop with an Intel Atom N2600 and GMA3600 Graphics.
And this is always a problem. GMA3600 is basically a PowerVR SGX545 wich never had any decent Linux support (no HW acceleration, ACPI problems, etc...)

Logs, Videos and .config file used to manually compile Kernel 4.16.3:
https://mega.nz/#F!fNlEnQgT!vWsqXWTwoSTTSmyLWLT_6Q

Any idea about what could be causing the black screen when I should be getting LightDM and Xfce?

Thank you.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Black Screen at LightDM login prompt

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

What the hell, where do all these threads come from? If the stock kernel is working fine, why do you install the kernel from backports?
3. Tried to manually compile Kernel v4.16.3 with:...
Unfortunately I get the same results.
Why make it harder, why?!

n_hologram

#3 Post by n_hologram »

There's nothing wrong with using an updated kernel.

@OP: file a bug report. You're using the testing system.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Binary-Synapse

#4 Post by Binary-Synapse »

@Wheelerof4te
Well... the reason I'm trying to use Debian 10 is that it provides much better results while reproducing videos in my "crippled" Intel GMA3600.
Better CPU usage, much less Macroblock effects, much less Screen Tearing and less dropped frames. It's visually noticeable.
That is probably due to modifications in VA-API, Mesa 3D Graphics libraries and/or the updated LLVM5.0 that Debian 10 is using out-of-the-box. I can't say for sure.

Installing Debian 9.X (which I would prefer not to do definitely, because of the above reasons), was just for video performance comparison and also a debug attempt.