Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gnome-tweaks stopped working

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mountaineer

gnome-tweaks stopped working

#1 Post by mountaineer »

Hello:
For some reason, my gnome-tweaks command has stopped working. It has worked before and I have not intentionally done anything to change its operation. When I go to the Applications menu>System Tools>Tweaks, I get the loading symbol for a while and then nothing. I have gnome-tweaks and gnome-tweak-tool (both are v3.28.1-1) installed on my Dell Latitude E6430ATG. My operating system is Debian v9.4. If I use terminal as a user to start tweaks in my home directory, I get:
  • morris@DELLDEB:~$ gnome-tweak-tool
    bash: gnome-tweak-tool: command not found
    morris@DELLDEB:~$ gnome-tweaks
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/app.py", line 30, in do_activate
    self.win = Window(self, model)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 32, in __init__
    left_box = self.sidebar()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 107, in sidebar
    self.entry.set_input_hints(Gtk.InputHints.NO_EMOJI)
    AttributeError: type object 'InputHints' has no attribute 'NO_EMOJI'
Note that I don't get a prompt at the end--indicating, I think, that the command is in limbo.
When I issue the commands as root, and from the root directory, I get:
  • root@DELLDEB:/# gnome-tweak-tool
    bash: gnome-tweak-tool: command not found
    root@DELLDEB:/# gnome-tweaks
    WARNING : Shell not installed or running

(gnome-tweaks:3539): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 14:38:29.981: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/app.py", line 30, in do_activate
    self.win = Window(self, model)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 32, in __init__
    left_box = self.sidebar()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 107, in sidebar
    self.entry.set_input_hints(Gtk.InputHints.NO_EMOJI)
    AttributeError: type object 'InputHints' has no attribute 'NO_EMOJI'
Again, no prompt, so I have to close the terminal and start a new one in order to issue a new command.

Apparently, from the listings above, there are some commands in some files that gnome-tweaks has a problem with--and some other problems as well. Supposedly, my computer does a check for software updates every day. Could that have caused a problem? Do you know of a way to get gnome-tweaks to work again?

Thanks

bw123

Re: gnome-tweaks stopped working

#2 Post by bw123 »

...I have gnome-tweaks and gnome-tweak-tool (both are v3.28.1-1) installed on my Dell Latitude E6430ATG. My operating system is Debian v9.4...
Well, I'd say something is out of whack, because on stretch I get different version for gnome-tweak-tool, and not available for a pkg named gnome-tweaks.

Code: Select all

$ apt policy gnome-tweak-tool
gnome-tweak-tool:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.22.0-1
  Version table:
     3.22.0-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
$ apt policy gnome-tweaks
N: Unable to locate package gnome-tweaks
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mountaineer wrote:Do you know of a way to get gnome-tweaks to work again?
Re-install Debian stable and do not add testing/unstable sources next time.

See also https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian
deadbang

mountaineer

#4 Post by mountaineer »

Thanks to both of you who replied. I assumed that only my gnome packages were at fault and tried a short-cut to get the proper versions of them:
I used Synaptic Package Manager to remove version 3.28.1-1 of gnome-tweaks and gnome-tweak-tool. Synaptic Package Manager also removed gnome. I then unchecked all Debian/testing repositories in Synaptic Package Manager>Settings>Repositories>Other Software and marked gnome-tweak-tool for installation. Synaptic Package Manager then installed gnome-tweak-tool v3.22.0-1 and gnome v1.3.22+3.
Now the Tweak Tool icon on the Applications menu calls up a working Tweaks app.
I consider this problem SOLVED.
Thanks again for your input.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mountaineer wrote:I consider this problem SOLVED
I take it that you didn't bother to read my link then?

This bit is relevant to your situation:
The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6.
So just uninstalling the testing version of gnome-tweaks does not mean that your system is fixed and it may yet break in a subsequent update or package installation.
deadbang