Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change order of items in MATE's main menu?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GNUser

How to change order of items in MATE's main menu?

#1 Post by GNUser »

I'm on Debian 9 with MATE 1.16.2. I have a custom launcher (for special shutdown dialog) that I would like to show up at the very bottom of the "Main Menu" applet. Screenshot here.

I've already tried both mozo (MATE's menu editor) as well as menulibre (DE-agnostic menu editor), but no matter what I do I cannot make my launcher move below the Places, System, and Lock Screen items, which don't even show up in any of the menu editors. I also looked around /usr/share/mate/desktop-directories/ and found no obvious leads.

Any ideas?

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: How to change order of items in MATE's main menu?

#2 Post by NFT5 »

System -> Control Centre -> MATE Tweak -> Panel -> Panel Menu Features

Check "Show Places" and "Show System". This will move these options up on to the panel, leaving your custom launcher at the bottom of the Applications menu.

Alternately, in mozo, you can move (by click and drag) the Places and System menus to another category, making them sub-menus. This will have the same effect of leaving your custom item at the bottom.

You can change the order of items in the application menu (excluding Places and System), by clicking and dragging. Select Applications in the left panel of mozo so that the items in that menu appear in the right panel. Then click and drag to the position that you prefer.

GNUser

#3 Post by GNUser »

NFT5 wrote:Alternately, in mozo, you can move (by click and drag) the Places and System menus to another category, making them sub-menus. This will have the same effect of leaving your custom item at the bottom.
I like this approach (putting the three items I want to move up into a new category), but trouble is cannot find Places, System, and Lock Screen anywhere in the mozo menu editor. Are you sure they can be moved in the way you are suggesting? Maybe these items are hardwired into the menu and the only way to move them is to manually edit a file somewhere?

GNUser

#4 Post by GNUser »

I worked around the problem by recompiling the mate-panel package so that the menu's own power button calls my custom script.