Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tweak Tool & new shell theme problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
odenproser

Tweak Tool & new shell theme problem

#1 Post by odenproser »

Hey guys,

In a nutshell every time I try to install a new shell theme in Tweak Tool and I go to .themes to select the theme, the Tweak Tool browser keeps opening the theme folders and subfolders without actually selecting the theme I want.

I've never used Tweak Tool before (this is my first time on Debian - XFCE). Not sure where to begin on this one. I enabled User themes extension and downloaded the Gnome OSC themes. Extracted in the .themes folder.

What am I missing?

Thanks

odenproser

Re: Tweak Tool & new shell theme problem

#2 Post by odenproser »

Update:

Just tried the 'How to sexy up Debian 9.0 "Stretch"' method (great title).

I get to the

Code: Select all

./install-gnome-themes
part but the installation fails at "WARNING: Installation takes an especially long time"...

Any help would be appreciated! I would like to make some GUI adjustments.

Thanks - I hope someone responds.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I can't help with themes, I never used gnome or xfce4, but are you sure the gnome themes you want to install are going to be compatible with xfce4? Sometimes there are comment sections on blog posts or wherever you found the method that can give you some help. Sometimes authors actually answer questions, so try an email to whoever came up with the idea?

I'm not sure sexy stretch is supported very well on the forum here.

I think you should keep good notes of what you install and from where, for later use. Be sure and backup any important data that might be on the machine.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

tweak tool? isn't that for gnome? which isn't the same as XFCE?
and yes, a theme is essentially just files and folders, so that's all you see if you open the files and folders.
XFCE has its own theme chooser, tried that instead?
and please be careful to not mess up your system before you know your way around it.