Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[quesion] Multimedia categorization tool

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Aroly7

[quesion] Multimedia categorization tool

#1 Post by Aroly7 »

Hi,
is there a tool which would allow me to sort through one big folder full of mine photos to different folders.
For example, from my 3000-4000 photos and videos, there is 200 from our trip to Italy but I cant filter them by name or date of creation.
So I will have to go through all of them and select those.
Is there a tool which would help me?
Thanks A7

arzgi

Re: [quesion] Multimedia categorization tool

#2 Post by arzgi »

Aroly7 wrote:Hi,
is there a tool which would allow me to sort through one big folder full of mine photos to different folders.
For example, from my 3000-4000 photos and videos, there is 200 from our trip to Italy but I cant filter them by name or date of creation.
Thanks A7
I used exif package. Then I made a bash scrpit that used exif and made directory for each year and mont, and moved every picture to according directory.

Installing exif:

Code: Select all

apt install exif

Aroly7

#3 Post by Aroly7 »

arzgi wrote:
Aroly7 wrote:Hi,
Thanks A7
I used exif package. Then I made a bash scrpit that used exif and made directory for each year and mont, and moved every picture to according directory.

Installing exif:

Code: Select all

apt install exif
Yeah I know I can sort them by exif date but I would like to sort them by the occasion. That mean that I will look on each one of them but if there is tool to help with it like open foto and then bind key to move it to specified folder.
Last edited by Aroly7 on 2018-05-31 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

Aroly7 wrote:
Yeah I know I can sort them by exif date but I would like to sort them by the occasion.
Well the occassion was likely to happen on certain date/dates.

But if you want to do it manually, maybe shotwell and tags?

Aroly7

#5 Post by Aroly7 »

arzgi wrote:
Aroly7 wrote:
Yeah I know I can sort them by exif date but I would like to sort them by the occasion.
Well the occassion was likely to happen on certain date/dates.

But if you want to do it manually, maybe shotwell and tags?
Doesn't shotwell use db to save image data? I would like them sorted physically in the filesystem.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

Aroly7 wrote:
Doesn't shotwell use db to save image data? I would like them sorted physically in the filesystem.
Yes it does, if even that does not fit you, then I guess there is only one option less: view each file, and save it where you thing it should go.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

Aroly7 wrote:Yeah I know I can sort them by exif date but I would like to sort them by the occasion. That mean that I will look on each one of them but if there is tool to help with it like open foto and then bind key to move it to specified folder.
since your computer does not understand "the occasion", and you say you want to do it manually, yes, some photo managers ahve an option for that, you go through your photos and jsut type a hotkey to move them to a certain folder.
you might want to look at "inofficial" software, too, like xnview.