I created a config file with the following content in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

ection "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
DefaultDepth 36
SubSection "Display"
Depth 36
EndSubSection
EndSection

and got practically nothing. lightdm org xfce4 doesn't seem to start at all. All I see is a terminal showing some last status messages like "lightdm ist starting". All I can do is to switch to another login terminal and change the config file to a bit depth of 30 and restart. That 10-Bit mode is working fine.g

What is causing this? Is this 12-bit mode simply not supported by the drivers - even not by the official one from nvidia? Do I have to change something in the xorg or kernel configuration and recompile? The graphics card I have should definitively support it. Could you please put some light into the dark?
MrWaldtölpel

Re: Are 12-Bit Panels Supported?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-06-02 10:10

MrWaldtölpel wrote:and got practically nothing

Please post the Xorg log file for the failed session, thanks.

EDIT: your posted stanza is missing an "S" at the start of "Section", is that in the actual file?
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby MrWaldtölpel » 2018-06-02 11:29

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: your posted stanza is missing an "S" at the start of "Section", is that in the actual file?

It was just a stupid copy and paste errror. It's correct in the config file. Here is the Xorg log file:

https://pastebin.com/Vre3K9rj
MrWaldtölpel

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-06-02 17:15

OK, first of all I should mention that I don't actually know if 12-bit colour is supported in Debian, I did a brief search out of pure curiosity but I couldn't find anything definitive.

So all I can really offer is an observation that you appear to be running the testing/unstable Xorg version with a stable kernel so you should probably try a system in which those two packages are from the same branch of Debian.

There is an obvious error message in the log:
Code: Select all
NVIDIA(0): No bpp for depth (36)

^ This would suggest that it is not possible with your current configuration.

It may also be worth considering that Debian does not officially support the non-free video drivers.
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Desktop & Multimedia