Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Console terminals don't show login: ctrl+alt+f2-f7

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Locane

Console terminals don't show login: ctrl+alt+f2-f7

#1 Post by Locane »

I've been struggling to get an Nvidia card working for a customer with a GUI under Debian 9.4.

I've got the drivers installed, nouveau blacklisted, and things are (mostly) fine (with the exception of the "user" account in /var/lib/AccountsServices/users/user constantly being changed to "SystemAccount=true" no matter how many times I change it).

With the desktop working, I can log in and mess with the system as user, the user account I created and had to manually perform setup for.

When I use CTRL+ALT+F2 or F3-7, I can't see a console, I just get a message about my /dev/md being clean:

https://youtu.be/kxt-UatLxts

The login for the consoles used to show up on my VGA monitor that was attached to on-board graphics, but now does not. The VGA monitor is completely disconnected, and now attached to it is this crappy Samsung through a DisplayPort -> DVI cable.

I've mostly been able to google answers to all the stumbling blocks I've encountered so far, but this one is absent. Does anyone know?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Console terminals don't show login: ctrl+alt+f2-f7

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why do you need the non-free drivers?

You would not have this problem with nouveau and the blobs are not officially supported by the Debian release.
deadbang

Locane

#3 Post by Locane »

Why do I need the drivers that take advantage of my $300 video card?

Is that seriously your reply?

God it's no wonder people don't use Debian.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

well then i think you should show us what you have there exactly:

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
if your card is very new, it's very well possible that debian is not the most suitable distro.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

Locane wrote: Why do I need the drivers that take advantage of my $300 video card?
Because the company that you paid that money to made it that way. They sold you a card that is made really for another os, it's broken on open-source because they decide to keep it that way.

Many many threads and websearch results about it. It might be helpful to others to test the nouveau driver and see what works and what doesn't. The question was probably, what does the proprietary driver offer that the free driver doesn't?

Did you install the nvidia driver by following the wiki, or download and install something?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

One would think that for $300, they would include the drivers.
God it's no wonder people don't use Debian.
Well some people do use it, others don't.
If Debian is not suitable for you, you are free to use something else.

I wouldn't pay $300 for some video card that does not include everything needed to use it, on any OS,... and since I don't use MS windows, I would not buy something that only works on their OS.
It is NOT the fault of Debian, that the company that makes the video card does not include the drivers needed.

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

Locane wrote: God it's no wonder people don't use Debian.
I count myself being human, altough I'm a happy Debian user.

I once paid nearly 200 € for a video card, that caused X to freeze. That was common problem, and I should have googled that. Lesson learned, but the seller was willing to pay my money back, so it ended well.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

I guess OP don't use Debian now because of something someone said on the internet.

Pre-Maxwell cards should be fine with nouveau for most purposes. From Maxwell on, nouveau doesn't support video decoding yet, and newer cards use firmware that must be signed by Nvidia so that's a bit of a hiccup. And nouveau will always be behind on support for the latest cards due to Nvidia's closed specs thus requiring reverse engineering.
It's hard to give accurate advice when we don't know exactly which card we're talking about.

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!