Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

move from jessie to stretch disorganized gnome custom menus

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
johntinker

move from jessie to stretch disorganized gnome custom menus

#1 Post by johntinker »

I had been using gnome flashback (could have been classsic) in jessie. I upgraded to stretch, and gnome lost the structure of my custom application menu items, of which there were many. I installed mate, and its view of the situation was identical to the gnome classic, but my menu items were still in the wrong places within the menu system. Where is the best place for me to learn all about this, if there is such a place? For a long time, I have wanted to be able to move custom menu items between machines, and never really could figure out how to do it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I am a long-time programmer and google user. Maybe I have missed the obvious. Last time prior that I looked into this, the new-improved version appeared to have disabled the menu system features which I had come most to rely upon. Could it be so? Might there be an easy fix? Might there be any kind of fix? Will the Joker ruin every plan? Thank you for your patience.

bw123

Re: move from jessie to stretch disorganized gnome custom me

#2 Post by bw123 »

The Joker shows up about every two yrs when I upgrade/reinstall as well. How did you have the menu setup? If it was separate .desktop files in home they should still be there, maybe the categories changed?

Something here might be a good place to start. I found it searching for freedesktop+menu+spec
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... ec/latest/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

Re: move from jessie to stretch disorganized gnome custom me

#3 Post by debiman »

johntinker wrote:I upgraded to stretch, and gnome lost the structure of my custom application menu items, of which there were many.
how did you set those up in the first place, and where? home or system?