Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Autostart xmms2 daemon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[Solved]Autostart xmms2 daemon

#1 Post by None1975 »

Hello I have one question. In one of my machines, which works without a x server, I installed xmms2. I know that in order to listen to music, you should run the demon

Code: Select all

xmms2-launcher
It's simple. But I would like this daemon to start automatically when I log into the system, as an ordinary user, not root. I know that when using mpd and run it as user, it's enough to use the systemd command

Code: Select all

systemtl --user enable mpd.service
And what command to use for xmms2? Is it right to use systemctl --user enable xmms2-launcher? I read the official documentation, but I did not find the answer. I would appreciate the information and explanation. By the way, i run Debian 9.4, fully updated.
Last edited by None1975 on 2018-06-26 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Dai_trying

Re: Autostart xmms2 daemon

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I use xmms2 and have never needed to ensure the daemon is running because whenever a command is issued it will load it automatically, although I m not an expert in it and there may be reasons for needing it to be loaded that I am unaware of...

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

None1975 wrote:Is it right to use systemctl --user enable xmms2-launcher?
I don't think that would work, there don't appear to be any systemd unit files supplied with the package so the command would fail.

If you need to run a command automatically on login then add it to ~/.profile (for a console login) or ~/.xsessionrc (for a display manager login).
deadbang

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

you could also have a look at the mpd service file, copy it and modify it to launch xmms2.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

Dai_trying wrote:I use xmms2 and have never needed to ensure the daemon is running because whenever a command is issued it will load it automatically
I understand this, but i would like to automate this process.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:If you need to run a command automatically on login then add it to ~/.profile (for a console login)
It turns out that the decision is simple, as two times two. Great tip. I did it. Thank you.
debiman wrote:you could also have a look at the mpd service file, copy it and modify it to launch xmms2.
Thanks for the idea. I had the idea to do this, but I do not know how the program will react. I should think about it. So far, I will use a simpler solution.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

None1975 wrote:Thanks for the idea. I had the idea to do this, but I do not know how the program will react. I should think about it. So far, I will use a simpler solution.
there's really nothing complicated about it, esp. since the mpd service does pretty much exactly the same.

oh look, xmms2 has a huge wiki:
https://github.com/xmms2/wiki/wiki