Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Simultaneous mouse presses ignored in games

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Particle

Simultaneous mouse presses ignored in games

#1 Post by Particle »

Something I've been struggling with after upgrading from Debian 8 to Debian 9 is that when I press multiple mouse buttons at the same time (or very quickly in sequence) in games like Darkplaces (Quake 1), the inputs get discarded. This makes things like rocket jumps and monster grenade jumps difficult since the timing on those can be as critical as tens of milliseconds.

Does anyone know of a change in maybe xinput or a default parameter change that might account for this? Can I make it behave like before?

bw123

Re: Simultaneous mouse presses ignored in games

#2 Post by bw123 »

Does anyone know of a change in maybe xinput or a default parameter change that might account for this?
There was a change to libinput instead of evdev, but can't say for sure that's the issue.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... r-libinput
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Particle

#3 Post by Particle »

bw123 wrote:
Does anyone know of a change in maybe xinput or a default parameter change that might account for this?
There was a change to libinput instead of evdev, but can't say for sure that's the issue.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... r-libinput
Thank you for the pointer! That sounds promising. I don't appear to have the configuration file referenced.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/41-middle-emulation.conf

I only have the bold part. If a make a folder called xorg.conf.d and insert something like "mouse.conf" with an input section in it, would that execute? Is there any way to confirm if the input library has changed?

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

'''
Is there any way to confirm if the input library has changed?
Use the number-ordered system on the conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d yeah you have to create it. I think it's 70-mouse.conf for evdev, or maybe 50- i'm not on that computer right now to check. You can experiment, probably has to be higher number than the libinput catchall in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

try something like this on you Xorg.0.log to see if it applies the right driver.

Code: Select all

grep "Using input driver" X*.log
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Particle

#5 Post by Particle »

Thanks for your help. I was able to get the evdev input driver to load and be used for the mouse. I can tell a difference in the motion of the cursor, but the simultaneous button read problem appears to be unchanged. Can you think of anything else that might cause this behavior? I tried with and without ibus installed as well since I had seen that cause input issues with other programs in the past. Darkplaces for instance needs it to be installed to read keyboard input correctly. Filezilla client needs it to not be installed to read keyboard input correctly.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

I don't have any real idea about what would cause mouse button input to get dropped like that. Sounds very annoying though, so I hope you find what is causing the issue and file the bug.

I might try it on a default install, or a leaner install with main repo only, and a fresh user account. I might try a different mouse, a different way of connecting mouse (ps/2, usb, wireless) and see if that can isolate the issue.

There might be some other info that would help someone esle spot a problem, but I'm not sure what. Maybe some hardware info, and xinput on the device would be a good place to start?
resigned by AI ChatGPT