Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Multisession data DVD wrongly identified as blank

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Kevin1

[SOLVED] Multisession data DVD wrongly identified as blank

#1 Post by Kevin1 »

Running Jessie 8.11, 3.16.0-6-amd64.
For several years I have been periodically archiving encrypted backups of my documents folder to Verbatim DVD+RW discs.

I format a new disc using:

Code: Select all

dvd+rw-format -force /dev/sr0
I add the first backup file to the disc using:

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -V "VolumeLabel" -R -J /path/to/file
I add subsequent backup files to the disc using:

growisofs -M /dev/sr0 -R -J /path/to/file
Until recently, on inserting a disc containing backup data, the disc volume label has been displayed in Nautilus and I have been able to access the backup files. Now, Nautilus identifies the disc as 'Blank DVD+RW disc'.

This occurs when I insert any of my many backup disks.
I can play video DVDs and audio CDs without problems, so I think the disc drive must be OK.
On another machine running Wheezy 7.11, 3.2.0-6-686-pae, all of the backup disks are correctly identified and accessed by Nautilus.

I suspect that a recent update to 64 bit Jessie has caused the problem.

Any advice, please?
Last edited by Kevin1 on 2018-07-19 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

kevinthefixer

Re: Multisession data DVD incorrectly identified as blank

#2 Post by kevinthefixer »

I'd try a live-CD of Stretch to see if that works. If so, upgrade your system. A lot of bugs seem to have been worked out of Stretch.

Kevin1

#3 Post by Kevin1 »

Thanks for the suggestion, kevinthefixer.
The 64 bit Stretch live DVD identified all my disks as blank.
I have discovered that 64 bit Jessie identifies a 32 bit Wheezy live DVD as blank (a single-session disc). The disc is correctly identified and accessed on my 32 bit machine running Wheezy.

Can anyone replicate this behaviour?
How can I track down the source of the problem?
The DVD drive would seem to be OK as it can play videos.

kevinthefixer

#4 Post by kevinthefixer »

I'm afraid I can't duplicate your problem. I dug through a bunch of my ancient backup CDs and read them all on Stretch AMD64. After 15 years they aren't supposed to be readable! I'm beginning to suspect that you have a hardware problem. I once had a DVD drive fail slowly, starting with its refusing to read or write DVD+R disks but still working with DVD-R. You might try cleaning the lens; probably won't work but doesn't cost much. Next I'd try a different drive, maybe borrow an external USB one? If you're convinced it's a bit-depth issue, you could try enabling multi-arch, but I wouldn't count on it working.
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO ... ti-arch%29

Kevin1

#5 Post by Kevin1 »

Many thanks, kevinthefixer, for attempting to replicate the problem and for suggesting it could be a hardware issue, despite playing videos OK.
I cleaned the lens with a cotton bud dampened with distilled water and now the drive reads my backup disks just fine (and still plays videos).

Kevinthefixed :D

kevinthefixer

Re: [SOLVED] Multisession data DVD wrongly identified as bla

#6 Post by kevinthefixer »

Yeah, I oughta get a raise, huh? Always check the easy stuff first!