Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Cinnamon crashes after upgrade to Debian 9.5

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
karel94

[solved] Cinnamon crashes after upgrade to Debian 9.5

#1 Post by karel94 »

Hello!
I have a system running fine with Debian 9.4 (i.e. kernel 4.9.0.6 and the proprietary nvidia drivers from non-free for a GTX 1060). After doing the apt-get dist-upgrade to 9.5 (i.e. kernel 4.9.0.7 and nvidia 384) cinnamon always says it has crashed and is running in recovery mode after login. It offers to restart which does not help. I always see only the background image but nothing else, cinnamon is not working.
When selecting and booting the old 4.9.0.6 in grub everything works fine again.
When giving advice to me please note that I know how to use terminal but do not know Debian and or Linux in general to much, I changed from Ubuntu with the release of 9.0 and until now could solve all problems with wikis and my knowledge gained with ubuntu (which is not too much).
Thanks for any help!
Karel

karel94

Re: [solved] Cinnamon crashes after upgrade to Debian 9.5

#2 Post by karel94 »

Meanwhile I have tried to solve the problem in further different ways and the following worked:
I booted into the working 4.9.0-6-configuration and uninstalled kernel 4.9.0-7 and all related packages (three in total in my case) completely using synaptic. Then I rebooted and reinstalled 4.9.0-7 the same way.
Now it works. Quiet an easy solution. I don't know the reason for the initial problem though.

Reinstalling nvidia-drivers and working through many manuals (mostly coming from Mint-Project) advising some dpkg-reconfigure commands etc. didn't help before.