Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gnome issue

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jalisco

gnome issue

#1 Post by jalisco »

I can't be more specific, because not sure what it's called, so I will describe it, and maybe someone can help me with the name of the problem.

Namely, I noticed when I go with the mouse to the top left and/or click on"Activities" of the Gnome desktop, and I expect the menu bar to roll in from the left, and show my desktops on the right..

What is that called?

My problem is, that doesn't happen. If I was lucky enough to open a terminal or browser, then at least I can use that. Otherwise, I can't open anything else, unless it's from a hotkey, or maybe right-click the desktop for display settings, or "settings" from the top right, near the shutdown menu.

Otherwise, I can't access the menu bar, or anything else. I guess I can hotkey to switch virtual desktops.

My configuration? Almost nothing installed, e.g. fresh install. I am using Debian 9 stretch, and the Gnome version that comes with it.

It's kind of a major annoyance, to say the least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out there are three ways to activate the "application overview"
1. mouse to top left
2. click on Activities
--both of the methods I normally use, that in my case are for whatever reason buggy
3. push the "power" key, and it seems to work after that, at least. Passable solution for now.

emariz

Re: gnome issue

#2 Post by emariz »

So, the Activity List is not triggered by clicking on (or hovering over) the Activities button. Can you still display the Activity List with the keyboard shortcut Alt+F1, or show all applications through Super+A?
Your mouse/ touchpad may not be properly configured.

jalisco

Re: gnome issue

#3 Post by jalisco »

It seems to happen only some of the times, near the beginning of a boot. Like after I have enough time to launch 1 application, then it happens.

The next time it happens, I will try these other hotkeys.

So far, I just use the so called "power" key (the one with the microsoft icon on my keyboard), and it re-appears, and then continues to work as expected.