Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

physfs 3.0.1 backport to stable sensible?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

physfs 3.0.1 backport to stable sensible?

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I am helping with the development of the game Trigger Rally. The developers recently decided to drop support for physfs 2.0.3 in favour of physfs 3.0.1. I normally work with Debian stable but I won't be able to compile the game with stable any more.

What would be the most sensible approach be? In such cases I would use a backport but there isn't such a thing for physfs. Should I install the new version by hand, switch to testing or try to convince somebody to create a backport (if this is not to complicated)?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: physfs 3.0.1 backport to stable sensible?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Backport it yourself, it's easier than it sounds:

https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I did a test backport in a 64-bit pbuilder, and it was successful without any extra tweaks necessary, except that the Buster debian/compat and debian/control files call out for debhelper >=11, but very few backports actually require 11's added new features, so I changed those to 10. The other route is to install debhelper 11 from stretch-backports.

I just added the sources to an existing Stretch repo I had for an unrelated libxbutil1 package to save a little time setting it up, so backports will be available for it it a minute or two: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... physfs-dev
MX Linux packager and developer

Onsemeliot

#4 Post by Onsemeliot »

Wow. Thank you very much for your fast help, stevepusser and Head_on_a_Stick!