Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Icon spacing on taskbar.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bottled_up

Icon spacing on taskbar.

#1 Post by bottled_up »

Hi all.

I seem to be having trouble with my icons in my taskbar.

When I came home tonight and turned my monitor on (PC is running 24/7) all the icons in the taskbar had been moved apart for no reason. If I go into settings and change a setting for taskbar they will move back to normal positions for about 10 secs then goto the way they are in the pic below.

If I add a program to the bar or remove one then they become spaced further apart till I go into settings again and they will go back to normal then to the same as the pic.

I am running KDE 3.3 on Debian 3.1 Sarge.

Also can anyone tell me why KDE doesnt have an option to "shutdown" or "reboot" the PC? It only has the option to logout. I have looked in the Kuser app and there doesnt seem to be a "wheel" group which ive been told to add my username to.

Thanks for any help on this.

:D

jobezone

Re: Icon spacing on taskbar.

#2 Post by jobezone »

Also can anyone tell me why KDE doesnt have an option to "shutdown" or "reboot" the PC? It only has the option to logout. I have looked in the Kuser app and there doesnt seem to be a "wheel" group which ive been told to add my username to.

Thanks for any help on this.

:D
Are you using KDM? If so (you _must_ use KDM, to be abke able to shutdown or restart within KDE in the logout window), configure it in the KControl Center. Somewhere in there, (in the KDM configuration), there must be a option to allow or not users to shutdown and reboot.

About the taskbar behaving strangely, you could try to: Right click in the Panel, and choose to create a new panel. Move things from the old panel to the new one (I think you can move them if you drag them with the middle button of the mouse, and they will "jump" to the new panel). After you're done, delete the old panel.

A more straight-forward, but risky way, as it's been a long time I've used KDE, is to enter the hidden .kde directory in your home dir (~/.kde ) using Konsole, for example. Search and delete the panel file/directory(I'm not sure which one this is), which will be regenerated with the defaults when you enter KDE again.

I'm unsure of this, since I don't use KDE, but I have in the past, and what I told you is what I can remember.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!