Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0.

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0.

Postby scruffyeagle » 2018-09-01 06:29

I just installed Debian v9.5.0 w/ the Mate desktop. So far, I've been quite pleased, with a few exceptions. For example "Totem" doesn't show up anywhere in the menus. I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it. I've even been able to assign it as the default video player - but it won't show up anywhere in the Mate menus. (Is Mate refusing to show it because it's a Gnome program?) Apart from launchers not showing up, the menu categorization scheme is inept, so I wanted to edit & improve it. That effort got nowhere fast. I've dl'd 3 different menu editors, and none of them work. I've managed to make a new "Files" directory/folder/category for file utilities - but, after making the folder, none of the 3 allow it to be moved for re-ordering sequence. The up/down buttons are non-functional, and click/drag has no effect. It clicks, it dags a line, but nothing gets moved. And, the new folder doesn't show up in the actual "Applications" menu in the menu bar at all. Not even after logging out & then back in.

I've run through my normal bag of tricks (which aren't that many), and didn't find a solution via online search. Maybe, this is already in the queue for the Mate team to fix?
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.
scruffyeagle

Re: Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0

Postby arochester » 2018-09-01 07:45

Mate menu editors - none worked at all

Which Mate menu editors have you tried? When you say " none worked" what exactly happened with each?
arochester

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-09-01 09:11

scruffyeagle wrote:snip...
I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it.

What you probably should have done is simply installed it via apt (or apt-get/synaptic/aptitude/whatever package manager you choose) and everything would be configured for you. This usually leads to less issues.
Dai_trying

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-09-01 10:42

scruffyeagle wrote:the menu categorization scheme is inept, so I wanted to edit & improve it.

Most menu systems work via the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and this behavior can be over-ridden by copying the .desktop files to ~/.local/share/applications and modifying them as required.

More here: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... c-1.0.html

We don't need no stinkin' GUIs :mrgreen:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby dcihon » 2018-09-07 10:44

I use a Mate menu editor called mozo:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo
dcihon

Postby scruffyeagle » 2018-10-06 05:00

arochester wrote:
Mate menu editors - none worked at all

Which Mate menu editors have you tried? When you say " none worked" what exactly happened with each?

There are 2 titled "Main Menu", which have differing pop-up descriptions. I made the assumption that this indicates they're actually different programs. The 3rd was "Menu Editor". Exactly what happened, is what I wrote after "I managed"...
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.
scruffyeagle

Postby scruffyeagle » 2018-10-06 05:02

Dai_trying wrote:
scruffyeagle wrote:snip...
I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it.

What you probably should have done is simply installed it via apt (or apt-get/synaptic/aptitude/whatever package manager you choose) and everything would be configured for you. This usually leads to less issues.

I almost always dl' & install using Synaptic. The only times I haven't done it that way, is when I've resorted to directly dl'ing tarballs.
scruffyeagle

Postby scruffyeagle » 2018-10-06 05:09

dcihon wrote:I use a Mate menu editor called mozo:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo

Yes, Synaptic shows that as having been dl'd & installed. I didn't have any success with that one, either.
scruffyeagle

Postby bw123 » 2018-10-06 07:38

Did you read the link that HoaS posted? There is a specification for the freedesktop menu system, does the spec allow for creating new categories, or reordering the menu in the way you want?
bw123

Return to Desktop & Multimedia