Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
scruffyeagle

Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0.

#1 Post by scruffyeagle »

I just installed Debian v9.5.0 w/ the Mate desktop. So far, I've been quite pleased, with a few exceptions. For example "Totem" doesn't show up anywhere in the menus. I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it. I've even been able to assign it as the default video player - but it won't show up anywhere in the Mate menus. (Is Mate refusing to show it because it's a Gnome program?) Apart from launchers not showing up, the menu categorization scheme is inept, so I wanted to edit & improve it. That effort got nowhere fast. I've dl'd 3 different menu editors, and none of them work. I've managed to make a new "Files" directory/folder/category for file utilities - but, after making the folder, none of the 3 allow it to be moved for re-ordering sequence. The up/down buttons are non-functional, and click/drag has no effect. It clicks, it dags a line, but nothing gets moved. And, the new folder doesn't show up in the actual "Applications" menu in the menu bar at all. Not even after logging out & then back in.

I've run through my normal bag of tricks (which aren't that many), and didn't find a solution via online search. Maybe, this is already in the queue for the Mate team to fix?
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Mate menu editors - none worked at all, in Debian v9.5.0

#2 Post by arochester »

Mate menu editors - none worked at all
Which Mate menu editors have you tried? When you say " none worked" what exactly happened with each?

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

scruffyeagle wrote:snip...
I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it.
What you probably should have done is simply installed it via apt (or apt-get/synaptic/aptitude/whatever package manager you choose) and everything would be configured for you. This usually leads to less issues.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

scruffyeagle wrote:the menu categorization scheme is inept, so I wanted to edit & improve it.
Most menu systems work via the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and this behavior can be over-ridden by copying the .desktop files to ~/.local/share/applications and modifying them as required.

More here: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... c-1.0.html

We don't need no stinkin' GUIs :mrgreen:
deadbang

dcihon

#5 Post by dcihon »

I use a Mate menu editor called mozo:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo

scruffyeagle

#6 Post by scruffyeagle »

arochester wrote:
Mate menu editors - none worked at all
Which Mate menu editors have you tried? When you say " none worked" what exactly happened with each?
There are 2 titled "Main Menu", which have differing pop-up descriptions. I made the assumption that this indicates they're actually different programs. The 3rd was "Menu Editor". Exactly what happened, is what I wrote after "I managed"...
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

scruffyeagle

#7 Post by scruffyeagle »

Dai_trying wrote:
scruffyeagle wrote:snip...
I dl'd it, installed it, and have used it via directly running it.
What you probably should have done is simply installed it via apt (or apt-get/synaptic/aptitude/whatever package manager you choose) and everything would be configured for you. This usually leads to less issues.
I almost always dl' & install using Synaptic. The only times I haven't done it that way, is when I've resorted to directly dl'ing tarballs.

scruffyeagle

#8 Post by scruffyeagle »

dcihon wrote:I use a Mate menu editor called mozo:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo
Yes, Synaptic shows that as having been dl'd & installed. I didn't have any success with that one, either.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

Did you read the link that HoaS posted? There is a specification for the freedesktop menu system, does the spec allow for creating new categories, or reordering the menu in the way you want?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

scruffyeagle

#10 Post by scruffyeagle »

bw123 wrote:Did you read the link that HoaS posted? There is a specification for the freedesktop menu system, does the spec allow for creating new categories, or reordering the menu in the way you want?
Wow - that's a LOT of heavy reading. I'll need to work my way through it, as & when time allows. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. And, my thanks to HoaS for the link.