Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox 52 ESR End of Life

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Wheelerof4te

Firefox 52 ESR End of Life

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Just a heads up, Firefox 52 ESR reached EOL today.
You should expect Debian to update the package anytime soon. My advice is to remove all extensions installed via packages you may have, and replace them with web versions, since they won't be compatible with new ESR release.

milomak

Re: Firefox 52 ESR End of Life

#2 Post by milomak »

this is going to anger so many people
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The rustc and cargo needed to build it are still mostly missing from Stretch, so I'm not holding my breath...though I can see their changes files in proposed-updates: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stre ... d-updates/
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

I just moved my vm base to 52.9 a month ago. I have no intention on changing that until next August.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Looks like the debs (deb9uX) for rustc 1.24 and cargo 0.25 are all ready to go:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cargo/
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rustc/

Hmmm... let me install those, "apt-get source firefox" (ver. 61.0.1) from Sid, and see how it builds on a Stretch base.

Edit: it wants backports of libnss3, libnspr4, and libsqlite3 from Sid, but I think I know how to tell Firefox to build and use its internal versions of those instead. I wonder how the Debian backporter will handle the same issue.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:My advice is to remove all extensions installed via packages you may have, and replace them with web versions, since they won't be compatible with new ESR release.
Not exactly said. For example, if extensions were installed from official Debian repositories (for example, NoScript), they will also be upgraded and compatible with Firefox-esr 60.1
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^But they won't. Traditional XUL extensions will be dropped from repos. Reason is that they are too outdated, and will not work with new ESR.

You can get most extensions from the web store.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm--I was able to backport Thunderbird 60 from Sid using the newer tools and switching to a llvm-4.0 toolchain build, along with building internal versions of newer libs that it wanted, but my Firefox builds fail using the same strategy. I need to do more investigation.

kopper

#9 Post by kopper »

Another perfectly valid option in my opinion is to download the tar from Mozilla and run it from your home folder. Just create a symlink e.g. in /usr/local/bin to Firefox executable. You can create shortcut in whatever DE/WM you have.

There are of course downsides, which include not having debian -specific security patches (you need to rely on upstream updates by Mozilla). You could try running firejail with it, though I haven't tried that just yet. With this method, there's no package manager control over the browser, either.

Upside is, that there is no need to backport anything and you get the latest Firefox. At least for me it improved user experience a lot. Lagging stopped, support for video streaming improved a lot even with quite restrictive add-ons I have installed, and overall responsiveness of browser took a huge leap. My personal recommendation is to use this until FF Quantum is properly supported by stable. But each to their own.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

...but what fun is that? :P

kopper

#11 Post by kopper »

pylkko wrote:...but what fun is that?
If you refer to my suggestion, I'd say not much from tinkerers' point of view. Just thought that if there are others like me who'd like some things to "just work"™, this would be one way to do it. :D

Solution isn't particularly novel, it has been mentioned at least couple of times in other threads.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

Wheelerof4te

#12 Post by Wheelerof4te »

It is indeed a known option mentioned more than few times on this forum.
kopper wrote:There are of course downsides, which include not having debian -specific security patches
I don't think Debian is patching Firefox ESR much now, that patching was a reason for Mozilla/Debian dispute in the past (hence Iceweasel/Icedove). I believe the Security team only uploads new ESR point version once it's released upstream.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by None1975 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^But they won't. Traditional XUL extensions will be dropped from repos. Reason is that they are too outdated, and will not work with new ESR.
Ok. Let's take for example NoScript. In Debian Sid Firefox-esr is 60.2.0esr-1 version. The version of NoScript in Debian Sid is 5.1.7-1. This version is fully compatible with the new Firefox-esr version. This means that it has been updated.
Wheelerof4te wrote:You can get most extensions from the web store.
Yes, you can.

Wheelerof4te

#14 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I meant the XUL extensions in Stable. This entire thread concerns Debian Stable, current Stretch. XUL packages in Stretch are outdated, and will not work, nor will be updated in Stretch.
Sid is a different story.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by None1975 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:XUL packages in Stretch are outdated, and will not work, nor will be updated in Stretch.
In Debian Stretch they will be upgraded. Together with Firefox-esr. I just do not know when.

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

The new ESR has been uploaded to Stable:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-securit ... 00217.html
Between 52.x and 60.x, Firefox has undergone significant internal
updates, which makes it incompatible with a number of extensions. For
more information please refer to
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/6 ... easenotes/

kedaha

#17 Post by kedaha »

Thanks for keeping your eye on it. In cases like these, I just wait. I wasn't going to mess around installing a downloaded firefox to /opt
I see this in my terminal:

Code: Select all

firefox-esr/stable,stable 60.2.0esr-1~deb9u2 amd64 [upgradable from: 52.9.0esr-1~deb9u1]
Nice. :D
Seems a lot snappier.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

pylkko

#18 Post by pylkko »

Appears to be in stretch security now

https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#19 Post by None1975 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:The new ESR has been uploaded to Stable
Yet you were right. The NoScript extension did not update ...No trouble. I uninstalled the old version and installed it using web store. So far, I have no problem with this version of Firefox-esr. I will see what will happen next. I can only say that it works much faster, uses less CPUs. I do not know what they did, but this version of Firefox-esr uses less RAM.

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

None1975 wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:The new ESR has been uploaded to Stable
Yet you were right. The NoScript extension did not update ...No trouble. I uninstalled the old version and installed it using web store. So far, I have no problem with this version of Firefox-esr. I will see what will happen next. I can only say that it works much faster, uses less CPUs. I do not know what they did, but this version of Firefox-esr uses less RAM.
If you have time, can you explain a little better? Does xul-ext-noscript break with the upgrade? Did you file the bug? What's web store? I prefer stuff that complies with DFSG, so I never install stuff from 3rd party sites.

According to this, all current firefox extensions in stretch are broken?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fr ... efox-addon

All firefox extensions must be installed from mozilla thru the browser instead of from the repo with apt?
resigned by AI ChatGPT