Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't get 2.1 audio output on laptop

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
imrazor

Can't get 2.1 audio output on laptop

#1 Post by imrazor »

This laptop previously had Debian Stretch installed, which recognized all the speakers in my laptop (right, left and subwoofer.) I've since wiped out that version and installed Debian Buster. At first I only had left channel audio, but was able to get 1.1 or 2.0 audio by going into 'hdajackretask' and playing around with the settings. This mostly involved toggling between 'Internal Speaker', 'Internal Speaker (LFE)', and 'Internal Speaker (Back)'. However I can only choose between the subwoofer and the right speaker; I cannot seem to get them to emit sound simultaneously. So I can have 2.0 or 1.1 audio, but not full 2.1 audio output.

I'm not sure how to try and get this working. Any pointers on reconfiguring ALSA (or PulseAudio) would be appreciated.

Some information that may be useful:
Dell Inspiron 7567
Realtek ALC3246 audio codec
ALSA 1.1.6 + PulseAudio 12.0 (default config)
Kernel 4.17.0-3-amd64