Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mugshot wont launch / update information

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
starseed-pl

Mugshot wont launch / update information

#1 Post by starseed-pl »

Hello everyone. Im new to the forums and to using Debian. I first took a dive into Linux with Ubuntu 16.04 , then to Linux Mint 19, and now I'm enjoying Debian 9.5. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm mostly using the debian computer for digital-arts; blender, video capture and some research / entertainment. I have fixed some graphics drivers issues such as screen tearing and things like that. Blender works great.I've managed to get required drivers up and running and everything is up to date and running nice, except this weird mugshot application.

Im using XFCE desktop. I did not install the default or gnome desktop or any other desktop environment. I selected xfce and webserver, ssh, printserver.

I'm having an issue with mugshot for some odd reason. I've had debian in the past on this machine (different HD) and never had an issue with this app.
At first it did not launch. I launched from terminal and it displayed some python errors which Im sorry I thought I saved but I did not. They ended with this line:
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'split'

I got it to launch by following this blogpost: https://linuxdicasesuporte.blogspot.com ... ebian.html

I installed Debian without a root account name or password, so I didn't have to add user to sudo.

I did run command: sudo apt install sudo accountsservice
I accessed root terminal and ran this commmand: echo "NO_AT_BRIDGE = 1" >> /etc/environment
sudo reboot

The application now launches but the image does not save. Every time it launches the profile image returns to the default picture. Is there something else I have to do to get a user profile image saved? Isn't this the image displayed at the login screen? If this is an xfce question can someone point me in the right direction to get my question answered? Thanks everyone.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mugshot wont launch / update information

#2 Post by CwF »

maybe a manual copy of your image as ~/.face ?

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

I haven't used this package but can offer some general advice that might help, if you launch mugshot from the command line you will usually see any errors output to the terminal which would normally give you a direction to search, you could also post terminal output here (in code boxes please) which might help others to help you.

starseed-pl

#4 Post by starseed-pl »

CwF wrote:maybe a manual copy of your image as ~/.face ?
I'm not sure what you mean here. I did use terminal as root to open thunar as root, then I copied and pasted the image I wanted into a directory I created at /.face/

When I run mugshot it remembers everything except the image. When I attempt to apply the image I selected I get this error in the terminal:

pastlife@genesis-deb:~$ mugshot
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 366, in on_apply_button_clicked
self.save_image()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 428, in save_image
shutil.copyfile(self.updated_image, face)
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/shutil.py", line 121, in copyfile
with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/home/pastlife/.face'
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 366, in on_apply_button_clicked
self.save_image()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 428, in save_image
shutil.copyfile(self.updated_image, face)
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/shutil.py", line 121, in copyfile
with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/home/pastlife/.face'

I cant even select the image in /.face because I cant browse there with mugshot. I can only select other images in home/userdirectory/.face

hope this helps

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

starseed-pl wrote: IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/home/pastlife/.face'

I cant even select the image in /.face because I cant browse there with mugshot. I can only select other images in home/userdirectory/.face

hope this helps
Maybe does. I haven't looked at tis since Xubuntu and have it on no machine so I can't check...I could be off base

the image file is .face ,not in .face/
cp myimage.png .face

or move the image to the home directory, not ./face and rename '.face'

the error says .face is a directory and the same name file doesn't exist, create it and see if it appears.

No this doesn't fix mugshot, but subsequent saves may work.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

In a search I stumbled on to this:
It is kind of old, and they say it was fixed,
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=785102
I can confirm this on Stretch. However, I've found a reason for the crash. It's because there is no valid file in ~/.face. In other words, you can work around this bug and make Mugshot successfully start by taking any digital picture, naming it .face, and putting it in your home directory. Once Mugshot has started, you can change the picture to whatever you want in the interface.
I don't use this type of app myself, but maybe this will give some clues to
working around the problem . I don't have the means to check it myself either.
Based on what CWF says :
or move the image to the home directory, not ./face and rename '.face'
Seems to me like that might solve it. "taking any digital picture, naming it .face, and putting it in your home directory. "

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

I just installed mugshot to test it (V 0.3.1-1) and it fails with this error:

Code: Select all

File "/usr/bin/mugshot", line 36, in <module>
    mugshot.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/__init__.py", line 47, in main
    window = MugshotWindow.MugshotWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot_lib/Window.py", line 52, in __new__
    new_object.finish_initializing(builder)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 228, in finish_initializing
    self.init_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 271, in init_user_details
    user_details = self.get_user_details()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 654, in get_user_details
    as_data = self.get_accounts_service_data()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 706, in get_accounts_service_data
    name = self.split_name(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mugshot/MugshotWindow.py", line 686, in split_name
    parts = name.split()
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'split'
So I have different failures to OP but result is the same. I think it is failing (in my case) to get user details which is why "name" is considered a bool (name only contains failure code??) and the program cannot extract the required information from it.

Rat

#8 Post by Rat »

Just want to confirm that adding a picture file with filename .face In the home folder works. I received the advice to create a folder named .face but in fact it must be the picture itself to be named this way. Thanks so much! :D