Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to upgrade Palemoon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
dcihon

How to upgrade Palemoon

#1 Post by dcihon »

Is there a recommended way to upgrade Palemoon on Debian?
There used to be a Palemoon installer but it looks like it isn't supported anymore.
Is there something easier than downloading it each time and reinstalling from the tar file?
Thanks
Dan

stevepusser

Re: How to upgrade Palemoon

#2 Post by stevepusser »

There's my Debian and Ubuntu apt repository that's approved by the Pale Moon developers: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466

Those packages are actually built on each target Debian and Ubuntu platforms instead of CentOS, though it doesn't seem to make much difference either way.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-09-08 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

If you are using V28 you can go to the about page and click "check for updates" and it should offer to update or tell you it is up to date. This isn't automatic but neither was the old installer package.

dcihon

#4 Post by dcihon »

Steve,
I followed your link. Had a little trouble with the commands . The first one kept returning a does not exist error.
I manually created the apt sources.list.d file and ran the release key command which worked fine but the but the apt-key add needed some password so I ignored that and ran the update command.
Installed pale moon with sudo apt-get install palemoon and that worked.
Question I have is I assume now that when you update to the next palemoon my dist-upgrade command will include it.
Thanks for all the work you do.
Dan

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, new versions in my repo will appear as upgrades in the apt system.

Did you follow the instructions I had for Stretch in the first post of that thread? Did you copy and paste them, or manually type them out? Were you becoming root (sysadmin) in the terminal where the instructions said to?
MX Linux packager and developer

dcihon

#6 Post by dcihon »

stevepusser wrote:
Did you follow the instructions I had for Stretch in the first post of that thread? Did you copy and paste them, or manually type them out? Were you becoming root (sysadmin) in the terminal where the instructions said to?
I followed the instructions. I copy and pasted them.
I did not become root.
I will remove what I did and post the results per the steps you showed.