Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen when logging in during buster install

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jowyta

Black screen when logging in during buster install

#1 Post by jowyta »

I am trying to install Buster/Testing on a Samsung NC110 netbook after installing a new hard disk. I have got as far as installing the base system and the packages for xfce. Now when I try to boot I get past the grub screen, put in the password for the encrypted disk, the boot appears to proceed normally until the desktop manager login screen should appear then the screen goes black and the keyboard becomes unresponsive. The disk light flashes occasionally and if I keep pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete I can eventually get the system to reboot.
I can boot into a terminal from Grub using recovery mode.
syslog shows the system running the following loop:

Code: Select all

systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager
lightdm[2822]: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm': No such file or directory
systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at  <>.
systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager
lightdm.log has a line:

DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
Xorg.0.log does not appear to show any errors apart from:

[  420,876](EE) modeset(0): [DRI2] No driver mapping found for PCI device 0x8086 / 0x0be1
[  42.877] (EE) modeset(0): Failed to initialize the DRI2 extension
I have tried various workarounds for this error and they do not seem to make any difference so I tend to think it is not the problem.
I have tried lxdm instead of lightdm and I get the same problem and similar outputs.

What should I do next to diagnose the problem?

bw123

Re: Black screen when logging in during buster install

#2 Post by bw123 »

Which image did you use to install? Buster isn't released yet.

lightdm[2822]: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm': No such file or directory
Kind of strange, on stretch, it's at /var/lib/lightdm/data maybe there is a newer setup being implemented. Did you try to create the directory it is looking for with the right permissions??

/var/lib# ls -l lightdm/
total 4
drwxr-x--- 4 lightdm lightdm 4096 Sep  9 17:47 data
resigned by AI ChatGPT

jowyta

#3 Post by jowyta »

Thanks for your reply, bw123.
Which image did you use to install? Buster isn't released yet.
I used a USB install iso from https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/, but I am past that stage and I am using the up to date packages from Debian Testing.
Kind of strange, on stretch, it's at /var/lib/lightdm/data maybe there is a newer setup being implemented.
You had me excited for a minute, but I am afraid it was just an error in me transcribing the message. It should read:

lightdm[2822]: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm/data': No such file or directory
The directory /var/lib/lightdm exists but is empty, as it also is on another computer which is booting up OK.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jowyta wrote:the boot appears to proceed normally until the desktop manager login screen should appear then the screen goes black and the keyboard becomes unresponsive. The disk light flashes occasionally and if I keep pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete I can eventually get the system to reboot.
I can boot into a terminal from Grub using recovery mode.
Does booting with systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel parameter get you to a console screen?

What is your graphics hardware?

Have you tried disabling kernel mode setting?

https://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#Disabling_KMS

Can you reproduce this with Debian stable?
deadbang

jowyta

#5 Post by jowyta »

Thanks.
Does booting with systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel parameter get you to a console screen?
Yes.
What is your graphics hardware?
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Have you tried disabling kernel mode setting?
Yes, I end up with the black screen and unresponsive keyboard.
Can you reproduce this with Debian stable?
I don't want to try this, but the system was working fine with testing until I did an update some time in July.

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT »

What should I do next to diagnose the problem?
modeset(0): [DRI2] No driver mapping found for PCI device
https://www.google.com/search?complete= ... DLDRoQz4Is

jowyta

#7 Post by jowyta »

Yes, as I indicated above I had already tried various ideas for resolving these DRI2 EE messages. Following your reply, TonyT, I have spent some more hours trying to get to the bottom of them but I have not found anything that works. I have tried with and without glamor and I have tried nomodeset all to no effect. It appears that modesetting is built into xserver-xorg-core.
Part of the problem is that I cannot find any explanation for what is supposed to provide driver mapping found for PCI device 0x8086 / 0x0be1. Also, I do not even know whether this error has anything to do with me getting a black screen.
So what I am trying to find out is how to properly diagnose the problem.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

found a bug report or two that might be relevant, have you seen them?
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=debian+8086:0be1
resigned by AI ChatGPT

jowyta

#9 Post by jowyta »

Yes, the bugs are either old, my system was working fine up to July, or provide no solution.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jowyta wrote:I have tried nomodeset all to no effect. It appears that modesetting is built into xserver-xorg-core
Kernel mode setting is not the same thing as Xorg's built-in modesetting driver.

Have you tried removing xserver-xorg-video-intel? (Or installing it if you are running the modesetting DDX driver.)
deadbang

jowyta

#11 Post by jowyta »

Yes, I have tried with and without xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Scorpion

#12 Post by Scorpion »

Try:

lightdm --test-mode --debug
I can't use lightdm on my Deb 10 machine.

lightdm --test-mode --debug
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.26.0, UID=0 PID=28356
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG:   [SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-arctica-greeter-guest-wrapper.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-arctica-greeter.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-slick-greeter.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/gnome/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/90-arctica-greeter.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG:   [SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/91-arctica-greeter-guest-session.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/92-arctica-greeter-remote-logon.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using Xephyr for X servers
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration -lightdm-greeter
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Failed to start seat: seat0
Before I had this error:

Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm/data': No such file or directory
I create that folder with the permissions of /var/lib/lightdm.

With "lightdm --test-mode" from the tty I was able to start it.
I suppose that you can make some script that does that when you open a tty.