Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which nvidia?[SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ckosloff

Which nvidia?[SOLVED]

#1 Post by ckosloff »

My video system crashed and it sgiving me lts of headaches, because Debian installs nouveau by default, but that does not work well with my system:

Code: Select all

ckosloff@crosshair:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV117 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
ckosloff@crosshair:~$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] [10de:1380] (rev a2)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 340.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
I installed nvidia and it worked well for a while but then it crashed badly, I use two monitors and only one was available, etc.
I am confused because I see many drivers and don't know which one to install.
Above is the info of my video system.
I am on stable + backports, stretch 9.5, kernel was updated to 4.17, I installed the appropriate linux headers, because I think they will be necessary for the compilation of nvidia.
Thank you.
Last edited by ckosloff on 2018-09-20 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which nvidia?

#2 Post by CwF »

Which driver you going for? Without any stated reason to use the nvidia drivers, somewhat installed, the base nouveau should work out fine. My version of the card works on 4 ports and the 2 hdmi sounds as well on default drivers.

# nvidia-detect
bash: nvidia-detect: command not found

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

With a 4.17 kernel, you'll need to use the drivers from stretch-backports. The one in the standard Debian repo won't build on newer kernels. I'd go for the nvidia-driver 390.77 instead of the legacy driver, unless it's dropped support for your card, of course.
MX Linux packager and developer

ckosloff

#4 Post by ckosloff »

CwF wrote:Which driver you going for? Without any stated reason to use the nvidia drivers, somewhat installed, the base nouveau should work out fine. My version of the card works on 4 ports and the 2 hdmi sounds as well on default drivers.

# nvidia-detect
bash: nvidia-detect: command not found
You did not install the nvidia-detect package that is why it is not found, nouveau does not works in my system, otherwise I would have left it there, I could not write because characters became illegible and disappeared, things flickered on and off, etc.

ckosloff

#5 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:With a 4.17 kernel, you'll need to use the drivers from stretch-backports. The one in the standard Debian repo won't build on newer kernels. I'd go for the nvidia-driver 390.77 instead of the legacy driver, unless it's dropped support for your card, of course.
You re right about 4.17, I have backports in my sources and I got it from there, I also installed the nvidia driver from backports as the wiki says:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install -t stretch-backports nvidia-driver 
this step is subsequent to installation of appropriate headers, that I did with synaptic.
So that is the solution.

ckosloff

Re: Which nvidia?[SOLVED]

#6 Post by ckosloff »

I think that problems were caused by installing the wrong driver, or not compiling correctly for my kernel, because of missing headers probably, so all those steps have to be carefully completed.