Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Listen to Youtube videos sound (only)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Deblib

Listen to Youtube videos sound (only)

#1 Post by Deblib »

Hi! is there an application in the Debian repositories to listen to Youtube videos sound (only) and create playlists?

pylkko

Re: Listen to Youtube videos sound (only)

#2 Post by pylkko »

I am not sure what you mean exactly, like do you want to not download the video content, or would you be fine with just not watching it?

Because for sure you can watch youtube videos on VLC and it has an option to disable video track, therefore you hear only audio.

There is also an mpd like daemon called "mopidy" in the debian repos that has a youtube plugin, you can therefore listen to youtube video audio, make playlists whatever.

But I believe these both download the whole video - possibly with youtube-dl and then just extract the audio

shep

#3 Post by shep »

To do this on the fly:
https://gist.github.com/daz/93242c47b78 ... ec98f85e65

If your goal is to get and save the audio, you can do it in two steps:
1) Download the video
2) Extract the audio w/ ffmpeg - lots of online tutorials on how to do this along with format options (ogg vs mp3 vs flac).

Proinsias

#4 Post by Proinsias »

mps might be worth a look
https://github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube

youtube-dl can extract audio (-x) and works well with playlists in that it can skip errors, transcode etc. I've not used it for streaming audio only playlists though.

mpv has a --no-video option and can leverage youtube-dl for downloading/streaming.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I kind of remember seeing some app for this on the OMGUbuntu or webupd8 blogs, but will leave the search up to you. If you can find it, I would try and help build a Debian package, though.

VLC also seems to be able to do just about anything, so there's no doubt some command line way to get to just play the audio from a Youtube stream, though IDK about playlists.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

Proinsias wrote:mps might be worth a look
https://github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube

youtube-dl can extract audio (-x) and works well with playlists in that it can skip errors, transcode etc. I've not used it for streaming audio only playlists though.

mpv has a --no-video option and can leverage youtube-dl for downloading/streaming.
+2 for these suggestions.