Intel Atom Windows Tablet "Black screen" issue

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: Intel Atom Windows Tablet "Black screen" issue

Postby wizard10000 » 2018-10-18 16:06

Been watching this thread with some amusement as I had my own pain trying to install Linux on Cheap Windows Tablets.

I used linuxium's *buntu respins for all but one install and used Debian for the last one - two Bay Trail and one Cherry Trail tablet.

Wireless worked, bluetooth worked, I don't think I ever got sound going on one and one problem I had with these cleap Win10 tablets is that apparently they read accelerometer data slighly less than correctly as on GUI startup the screen was always upside down. Easy to fix with xrandr in autostart, though.

What I did find out was that Linux was pretty miserable on these tablets; nobody touchscreens in Linux better than Gnome but you really don't wanna run Gnome on an Atom tablet with only 2GB of RAM, honest.

I found out the reason that Win10 worked so well on these things was that Win10 uses RAM compression on these tablets; I finally gave up on the project and reloaded a factory Win10 image on the things. Two out of the three died, though.

I wished they worked better - Linux on an 8" tablet would have made a great e-book reader.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby nz_kiwi » 2018-10-18 19:10

I'm really only wanting them to be a screen and processor, with a bit of BT usage. Everything works except for the screen, which is a bit fundamental...
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Yes, I know. The latest version of the kernel found in Debian stable is very old, try a different distribution's live ISO and see if their newer kernel makes stuff work.

Do you mean try mint or another Linux distribution, or try Sid?
What about installing the latest Sid kernel alongside the latest stable, and then grub boot into it?
nz_kiwi

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-10-18 20:46

nz_kiwi wrote:What about installing the latest Sid kernel alongside the latest stable, and then grub boot into it?

You should probably try the backported kernel instead, you can install the metapackage so you get (delayed) updates.

https://backports.debian.org/
I suffer from depression and may lash out occasionally, try not to take it personally.
Head_on_a_Stick

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia