Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Debian on Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme: X troubles

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bw123

Re: Debian Testing on Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme: X troubles

#16 Post by bw123 »

... the Intel driver should be loaded, but it is not
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you expect intel driver to get loaded, when lspci didn't list any intel graphics device?
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... tification
dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Why bumblebee if it is the only card?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

adi1334

#17 Post by adi1334 »

This is an Optimus laptop. As far as I understand, when hybrid graphics is enabled, nvidia piggybacks on intel integrated card. Or somesuch thing.

I want to use Bumblebee (Optimus) so that I get some power saving features (battery life is on the short side with nvidia on all the time).

So I am trying to get it to work. I TURN ON the Hybrid graphics in BIOS. Followed Debian wiki to the best of my knowledge. I must be missing something. So maybe Debian user forums can help.

lspci in hybrid mode *does* detect both cards. Yet X won't start.

:shock:

bw123

#18 Post by bw123 »

adi1334 wrote:This is an Optimus laptop. As far as I understand, when hybrid graphics is enabled, nvidia piggybacks on intel integrated card. Or somesuch thing.

I want to use Bumblebee (Optimus) so that I get some power saving features (battery life is on the short side with nvidia on all the time).

So I am trying to get it to work. I TURN ON the Hybrid graphics in BIOS. Followed Debian wiki to the best of my knowledge. I must be missing something. So maybe Debian user forums can help.

lspci in hybrid mode *does* detect both cards. Yet X won't start.

:shock:
Well, like I said I might have missed it/ It's kind of a confusing thread. , where did you show the two cards with the ID instructions on the nvidiadriver wiki page?

I looked up Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and found a page or two at lenovo, didn;t see the word hybrid, or optimus.

p.s. thanks for using testingall those yrs, hope you are reporting a lot of bugs, especially anything that would delay buster going stable on time.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

adi1334

#19 Post by adi1334 »

I also looked, did not find much, so I asked here.

I followed the Debian Bumblebee wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee).

Installed everything, made sure -- as far as I can tell -- that no xorg.conf was created by nvidia settings, then rebooted, set the display to Hybrid mode in BIOS, booted ... and no X.
Checked by lspci that I do have both video cards active, looked at X log, googled stuff, asked for help here. In a confusing way, likely.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

One of the problems with Nvidia seems to be that the drivers won't build or work on the rt kernel. I have heard that people that needed a lower latency kernel seemed to be happy with the Liquorix kernel, at least for audio processing, and the Nvidia drivers build fine on that kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

adi1334

#21 Post by adi1334 »

@stevepusser - Thanks for reminding me about the Liquorix kernel. Used it a while back, when rt was not (easily) available in Debian. Will have a look again.

milomak

#22 Post by milomak »

lspci lists no intel graphics driver so bumblebee is of no use to you.

perhaps if you change the settings in your bios that may get the intel card to load (if your laptop is indeed an optimus one). my bios setting is switchable graphics on a lenovo y700 (i think).

here's what i see on my optimus laptop

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev ff)
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

adi1334

#23 Post by adi1334 »

My Bios settings that is Hybrid Graphics, which I enabled after installing bumblebee. Consequently, lspci lists 2 graphic cards, in a similar manner as described by yourself. That I have said before. Yet, when that is the case, X will not start. That is my problem and question. :cry:

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

adi1334 wrote:My Bios settings that is Hybrid Graphics, which I enabled after installing bumblebee. Consequently, lspci lists 2 graphic cards, in a similar manner as described by yourself. That I have said before. Yet, when that is the case, X will not start. That is my problem and question. :cry:
Do you have an xorg.conf file anywhere that specifies using the nvidia driver?

Recent Intel GPUs also require firmware-misc-nonfree be installed from the nonfree section of the repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#25 Post by milomak »

what is your
# dpkg -l | grep xserver | grep video

ii  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus                     1:1.5.3-1+b3                            amd64        X.Org X server -- Cirrus display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                      2:2.99.917+git20180925-2                amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-mga                        1:1.6.5-1+b1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- MGA display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic                   1:1.2.9-1+b3                            amd64        X.Org X server -- Neomagic display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                     390.87-2                                amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-openchrome                 1:0.6.0-3+b1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- OpenChrome display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb                     1:0.9.7-1+b1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- SiS USB display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx                       1:1.4.7-1+b1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- tdfx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-trident                    1:1.3.8-1+b1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- Trident display driver
pertinently do you have the intel one?

i also have this
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
  Driver      "intel"
  Option      "AccelMethod"
  Option      "TearFree" "true"
#  Option    "DRI"	"false"
EndSection
when it comes to xorg files i have
# locate xorg | grep etc

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf
/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d
/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nouveau
/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia-current
/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/10-dummy.conf
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

adi1334

#26 Post by adi1334 »

I do have firmware-misc-nonfree installed.

# dpkg -l | grep xserver | grep video is

ii  xserver-xorg-video-all                        1:7.7+19                             amd64        X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu                     18.1.0-1                             amd64        X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati                        1:18.1.0-1                           amd64        X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
ii  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev                      1:0.5.0-1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                      2:2.99.917+git20180925-2             amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau                    1:1.0.15-3                           amd64        X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                     390.87-2                             amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-qxl                        0.1.5-2+b1                           amd64        X.Org X server -- QXL display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon                     1:18.1.0-1                           amd64        X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa                       1:2.4.0-1                            amd64        X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vmware                     1:13.3.0-2                           amd64        X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
I did not have a config file for Intel. OK. I add it to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf,d (that is the location where X reads the config files, in my case).

AAAAND bAM! That was it, the configuration for intel was missing. Everything works now!

Thank you for your help!

Cheers!!!

:mrgreen: