Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dremel3D slicer won't start after upgrading from Debian Jess

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
psanf

Dremel3D slicer won't start after upgrading from Debian Jess

#1 Post by psanf »

I just upgraded from Debian Jessie (8) to Stretch (9.5), and I've found a couple of programs now refuse to work. One of them is the slicer software I use for my Dremel 3D20 3D printer. It worked fine under Jessie, but I'm getting a lot of strange errors when I try running it on Stretch.

I got the package from the Dremel website here: https://3dprinter.dremel.com/files/3d20 ... 64.deb.zip. I installed it using dpkg -i, and there were no errors. When I try to run it I get a bunch of errors which I'm having trouble fixing. I've tried installing a number of packages, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

I've already tried Google, and asking on a couple of other forums. I've confirmed that /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 is present on my system, and I've reinstalled the xserver-xorg-video-intel package. I'm trying to run all of this on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410s.

Code: Select all

patrick@debian-patrick:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i Dremel\ 3D_0.9.20150806_linux_amd64.deb 
Selecting previously unselected package dremel3d.
(Reading database ... 194365 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack Dremel 3D_0.9.20150806_linux_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dremel3d (0.9.20150806) ...
Setting up dremel3d (0.9.20150806) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.15-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
patrick@debian-patrick:~/Downloads$ /usr/share/Dremel3D/Dremel3D 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 20, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 386, in importHook
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 480, in doimport
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.FPCore", line 16, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 386, in importHook
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 480, in doimport
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.taskThread", line 15, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/core.scene.mesh", line 14, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.GL", line 2, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.raw.GL", line 6, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.raw.GL.constants", line 7, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 431, in importHook
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.platform", line 36, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.platform", line 27, in _load
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.plugins", line 14, in load
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.plugins", line 28, in importByName
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.platform.glx", line 8, in <module>
  File "/home/lny/Desktop/flashprint-bosch/toolkit/Dremel3D-LinuxX64-tmp/build/pyi.linux2/Dremel3D/out00-PYZ.pyz/OpenGL.platform.glx", line 20, in GLXPlatform
ImportError: ('Unable to load OpenGL library', '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: drmFreeDevice', 'libGL.so.1', 'libGL.so.1')
patrick@debian-patrick:~/Downloads$ 
EDIT: I played around with my video card drivers, and now I'm getting a segmentation fault when I try to run the program. I scrolled a bunch of stuff off the screen, but I managed to capture it in a text file. I've put that down below. I tried switching my driver as detailed here, but that blew up on me. When I rebooted the machine I was unable to get back to the GUI. It would just hang at a certain point in the boot process. I had to undo the changes through the recovery console to unbrick it.

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QGLTempContext: No GL capable X visuals available.
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.
QImage::scaled: Image is a null image

bw123

Re: Dremel3D slicer won't start after upgrading from Debian

#2 Post by bw123 »

It's probably something the support page would be better able to explain?
https://digilab.dremel.com/3D-Support
I did not see linux software or support offered or mentioned, that's too bad. Maybe they do not have a long-term strategy for the device, that's pretty common with proprietary hardware devices. Have you serached for an open-source software solution for using it? Gnu/Linux users are pretty creative, and there are often free alternatives for things like this.

You can look at the .deb and show what it expects from the system with dpkg-deb command. It sort of looks like a problem with this pyinstaller thing, whatever that is? It's a pretty large pkg or I would have snagged it. No need to waste bandwidth when you have it right there... Is anything else in the .zip along with it, like a README file? The files named .py are probably readable with cat or less, there might be clues in them.

here's how to get to the .deb header and view the info for it.

# dpkg-deb -I acpi_1.7-1+b1_amd64.deb 
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 16592 bytes: control archive=803 bytes.
     531 bytes,    14 lines      control              
     578 bytes,     9 lines      md5sums              
 Package: acpi
 Source: acpi (1.7-1)
 Version: 1.7-1+b1
 Architecture: amd64
 Maintainer: Debian Acpi Team <pkg-acpi-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
 Installed-Size: 46
 Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7)
 Section: utils
 Priority: optional
 Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpiclient
 Description: displays information on ACPI devices
  Attempts to replicate the functionality of the 'old' apm command on
  ACPI systems, including battery and thermal information. Does not support
  ACPI suspending, only displays information about ACPI devices.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

psanf

#3 Post by psanf »

I've send the Dremel folks an email, but I doubt they'll be very helpful. The system requirements for the package say you need Ubuntu, but I know that's not true. I suspect they'll just tell me to install Ubuntu.

I ran the dpkg-deb -I command on the .deb package, and this is what I got. I don't know what I'm looking at, but nothing seems obviously wrong. I checked, and confirmed that I do have the libudev-dev package installed.

After nearly bricking my laptop, now all I'm getting when I try to run the program is "Segmentation Fault." Nothing else. :cry: I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

patrick@debian-patrick:~/Downloads$ dpkg-deb -I Dremel\ 3D_0.9.20150806_linux_amd64.deb 
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 37933392 bytes: control archive=25808 bytes.
      34 bytes,     1 lines      conffiles            
     246 bytes,    10 lines      control              
   27640 bytes,   304 lines      md5sums              
     206 bytes,     8 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
     340 bytes,    18 lines   *  preinst              #!/bin/sh
   59511 bytes,   373 lines      templates            
 Package: dremel3d
 Version: 0.9.20150806
 Architecture: amd64
 Maintainer: Zheng Gang <zg@sz3dp.com>
 Installed-Size: 139194
 Depends: libudev-dev
 Section: utils
 Priority: extra
 Homepage: http://www.sz3dp.com/
 Description: Dremel 3D printer controler
patrick@debian-patrick:~/Downloads$ 

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

I installed it using dpkg -i
Try using gdebi. It's in the repositories. "Gdebi is a simple tool to install deb files.
It lets you install local deb packages resolving and installing
its dependencies." https://launchpad.net/gdebi It probably won't help but it's worth a try.

Personally, I think your problem is with libGL.so.1. You don't have it. Check the error message
ImportError: ('Unable to load OpenGL library', '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: drmFreeDevice', 'libGL.so.1', 'libGL.so.1')
You may have to install libGL.so.1 manually.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Now doubt it was compiled on some Ubuntu 15.X version, and it's binary-incompatible with some Stretch library. Jessie was close enough to not error out, though. I don't know why a deb would require just one -dev package instead of the usual runtime libs generated by dh_shlibs--that makes me think it's not really a proper deb at all. I get the same segfault after installing and testing it, too.

Maybe you can run Jessie in a virtual machine and run the printer through it?
MX Linux packager and developer