[Help] Debian 9 AMD64 Stable, can't "safely remove device".

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[Help] Debian 9 AMD64 Stable, can't "safely remove device".

Postby fender0107401 » 2018-11-04 08:34

My desktop uses two removable disks as a data backup pool.

Very recently, I find I can't "safely remove device" to unmount the removable disks.

If I try to "safely remove device", the system will go to freeze.

Why and how to overcome? Is that a new bug or something like that?
fender0107401

Re: [Help] Debian 9 AMD64 Stable, can't "safely remove devic

Postby debiman » 2018-11-04 09:41

something is probably using it.
try to investigate with
Code: Select all
lsof

you WILL need to grep for something, lsof output is just too long otherwise.
debiman

Postby scruffyeagle » 2018-11-09 07:37

I've run into this before. Try using "eject" instead of "safely remove device". I think this happens, because the OS sees external HD's effectively the same as being flashdrives.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.
scruffyeagle

Postby fender0107401 » 2018-11-10 02:36

scruffyeagle wrote:I've run into this before. Try using "eject" instead of "safely remove device". I think this happens, because the OS sees external HD's effectively the same as being flashdrives.

OK, I will try.
fender0107401

Postby fender0107401 » 2018-11-10 02:37

debiman wrote:something is probably using it.
try to investigate with
Code: Select all
lsof

I can't, because I can't run anything.
fender0107401

Postby bw123 » 2018-11-10 04:57

found some suggestions depending on fs type: fsck them, check smart status, use umount instead, etc.
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=debian+f ... ely_remove

My desktop uses two removable disks as a data backup pool.

Sounds interesting, what kind of pool? How does it work?
bw123

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-11-10 07:39

Some times I have just 1, other times 2 portable USB drives connected, using them in a similar way:
removable disks as a data backup pool

Occasionally the same happens, especially if I am using a file manager (GUI) to view/copy or move data, so I am curious as to what file manager is involved here, also maybe DE (desktop environment)
debiman wrote:
something is probably using it.
try to investigate with
CODE: SELECT ALL
lsof

by fender0107401 » I can't, because I can't run anything.

So what do you do ? How do you shutdown the PC, if you can not do anything ?
Have you tried opening a terminal using <ctr-alt-f1 >or f2, etc ...it does not have to be f1 ? If you can open another terminal, you can run the 'lsof' command from there.
I have found the hard way, it is not good to just power off the PC, with the switch, it can cause considerable damage to the external devices, if they are not properly unmounted before turning the machine off.

by fender0107401 » Why and how to overcome? Is that a new bug or something like that?

Need to know what file manager is involved, I don't think it is anything new, like I said , I have had it happen, and even several years back, I am not sure why, but it seems to me like some GUI file managers have some kind of cache going, and the device stays busy, even when one is not doing anything. I have found usually , if I close the file manager , and use 'umount' from the cli, then I can safely unmount / eject them.
In fact I had this happen just a few minuets ago, I had started to delete a directory, on 1 device, it was a very larger directory, 200+ gb, I changed my mind, because I saw that it was going to take some time, and also I realized maybe I did not really want to delete/remove it, so I "cancelled" or aborted,... it did not matter, even when I closed the file manager, I still could not unmount the drive, from the CLI, it kept saying it was busy. I ended up using the alt-ctrl-f1 as mentioned earlier, and rebooted, I guess it sort of got caught in a "limbo" sort of state, any way after rebooting it was no longer mounted, and after I made sure about removing the directory, I did remove it, took about 15 minuets, but once it was done, there was not the same problem, I was also able to unmount the device, as normal. Hope the OP does not have trouble translating this, if they do not read english very well.
GarryRicketson

Return to Desktop & Multimedia