Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED - "users and groups" utility in Dv9.5 w/ Mate

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
scruffyeagle

SOLVED - "users and groups" utility in Dv9.5 w/ Mate

#1 Post by scruffyeagle »

In Gnome 2, there was a utility called "Users and Groups", which facilitated reviewing & editing UID #'s & privileges, & group #'s & privileges. I'm trying to find a counterpart for doing those same tasks, in the Mate desktop environment. After much searching w/ no success, I gave up and came here to inquire.

I'm running Debian v9.5 w/ Mate desktop, on a Dell Inspiron 9400.
TIA.
Last edited by scruffyeagle on 2018-12-31 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

Segfault

Re: Gnome2 "users and groups" utility - Mate counterpart?

#2 Post by Segfault »

Code: Select all

vipw
vigr

scruffyeagle

#3 Post by scruffyeagle »

Segfault wrote:

Code: Select all

vipw
vigr
I don't see how that helps me. I tried inputting each of those via terminal, and the result was command not found. In Synaptic, I was able to find viqr, but not vipw. viqr's description didn't mention users or groups at all. I'm no closer to being able to review or manage users & groups than I was before you typed that. Did someone decide that only code experts need to know about or manage users & groups?
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/vipw.htm

i run usermod from coreutils
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

TonyT

#5 Post by TonyT »

The utility is part of Gnome System Tools which can be installed on Mate. There is no Mate port.
https://projects-old.gnome.org/gst/

scruffyeagle

#6 Post by scruffyeagle »

TonyT wrote:The utility is part of Gnome System Tools which can be installed on Mate. There is no Mate port.
https://projects-old.gnome.org/gst/
Thank you, TonyT! I was able to find & dl' it via synaptic. That was exactly what I needed.