Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing wallpaper without right-click button?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
eveanne

Changing wallpaper without right-click button?

#1 Post by eveanne »

Clicking the right-click button in my system brings up a menu with applications.
Thanks to this I never have to use the "K" button in the panel.
This is great, but the downside is that I can't change the wallpaper for any of of my desktops.
Is there another way I can change the wallpaper for the desktops?

Thanks for your help.
Eveanne

PS. Changing the function of the right-click button was the first thing I did after installation. This was years ago, and I don't remember how it was achieved. Therefore I can't change it back to the way it was even if I wanted to.

bw123

Re: Changing wallpaper without right-click button?

#2 Post by bw123 »

In plasma desktop on stretch, "configure desktop" should be in the cashew menu for the current activity. I gues the real name is "desktop toolbox" but it's the little thing like three dashes, or sometimes a little half round thing in a corner of the screen. The hotkey for configure desktop is alt+d, alt+s but it looks like some apps interfere with this. Try it with apps minimized?

https://userbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_UserBase
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is great, but the downside is that I can't change the wallpaper for any of of my desktops.
Is there another way I can change the wallpaper for the desktops?
If the OP does not mind using a terminal , and is interested I will share a script I use, it is much more simple then all the " clicky dicky " GUI stuff, and should work on any Desktop Environment, as well as Window Manager, but to be honest I have never tried it on a DE, some DE's and their pre-defined GUI's might not allow it.
Also, one does need to have Image Magick installed, it is available in the Debian repos.

Basically it is VERY simple, this (below), is a executable script, it was bash, but I no longer use bash, any way, I named it "background", ( I guess that is the same as a wall paper,maybe not) , so I just type

Code: Select all

background
at the prompt, and it loads this pre-determined one, the name could be shortened, ie: bkgnd, or wallpaper ? what ever, to make it easier.

display -window root /home/garry/Images/backgrounds/bryan-backgnd.png 
So then I made another script, with a selection, a menu of sorts, with all my backgrounds, wallpapers,...

PS3='Pick one of the above: '
TMOUT=10
select i in list choose quit
do      case $i in 
        list)   ls ~/Images/backgrounds;;
        choose) read fname; display -window root ~/Images/backgrounds/${fname};;    
        quit)   break;;
        "")     print -u2 You must select one of the above;;
        esac
done 
In the directory /Images/backgrounds/ , I have all my "wallpapers", I call them backgrounds, that is no matter,... any way the script presents me with a list, using the 'ls' command, all I have to do is type in the name of the one I want, and then hit enter, then select 3 , to exit.
I did not actually write the script myself, someone on another forum helped me with that, I am not sure they would want me to post their name here, but any way I give them credit, I am no script wizard, and usually need help to create a script I need. They key being to be able to give a good clear description of what needs to be accomplished with the script.
Some times it helps to buy some one a beer or 2, to help motivate them , but I guess that is another topic all together. Any body that wants to experiment with the above, that would be nice, I am curious if it works on Desktop Environments, as well as it does on a Window Manager.

eveanne

#4 Post by eveanne »

it's the little thing like three dashes, or sometimes a little half round thing in a corner
Thank you very much for your reply.
A "Default Desktop Settings" option manifests via the "Desktop" thingy in the upper right corner, and this takes care of the mouse buttons. Cheers!

There still remains to solve how to import downloaded pictures so they appear in the menu of available wallpapers however, and also how to put a different picture on every desktop (to me this seems like it should be done with the "Virtual Desktops" in the "System Settings," but no such luck, unfortunately).
I know that it is possible to do this, since I have three different pictures on the first of my twelve desktops, but I have forgotten how it was done.
It would be practical if there were a widget you could put in the panel to control this with, but I don't know if such a widget exists.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to do these things (converting pictures and individualising desktops).
Thank you again.
Eveanne.