Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[please delete]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nani9467

[please delete]

#1 Post by nani9467 »

Update : Solved (kind of), see last post

Hello,

I downloaded Debian Live 9.6 Mate official image for testing a few things, as I usually do before upgrading.
I verified the signature and the hash with success, burned the image on DVD and re-checked the DVD content vs the iso content to make sure there was no corruption.

This morning, I booted from the DVD and was greeted by a very strange display as it was definitly not Mate :
- there was a login screen asking me for username / password
- there was a small "debian" string in the top-left corner (nothing else)
- the background wallpaper was stretch-like but different from Mate (more light-blue than green I would say)
- I recognized what seemed like a Gnome 3 icon in the top-right corner ("accessibility" may be it's name, a small black guy inside a white circle)
- the top-right corner had a drop-down arrow with the shutdown options : shutdown was separate from restart

My apologies for giving such a vague description, I has just woken up at that time and did not yet have my cup of coffee so my mind was quite fuzzy, my only reaction was to raise an eyebrow and hit restart :roll:
After rebooting, the usual Mate DE appeared without any problem.

I know DVD are not perfect and that once in a while there might be small reading errors leading to a bug or a service failing to start, but this is the first time I see something like that and I am intrigued.
I plan investigating further but I would be grateful if you have clues or ideas to share :D
Last edited by nani9467 on 2018-11-16 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

cronoik

Re: Debian Live 9.6 Mate : unknown DE displayed

#2 Post by cronoik »

nani9467 wrote:This morning, I booted from the DVD and was greeted by a very strange display as it was definitly not Mate :
- there was a login screen asking me for username / password
- there was a small "debian" string in the top-left corner (nothing else)
- the background wallpaper was stretch-like but different from Mate (more light-blue than green I would say)
- I recognized what seemed like a Gnome 3 icon in the top-right corner ("accessibility" may be it's name, a small black guy inside a white circle)
- the top-right corner had a drop-down arrow with the shutdown options : shutdown was separate from restart
There is an old phrase that you should consider: A screenshot is worth a thousand words!
Try the following to find out which desktop environment is running:

Code: Select all

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
Have a nice day!

nani9467

Re: Debian Live 9.6 Mate : unknown DE displayed

#3 Post by nani9467 »

cronoik wrote:There is an old phrase that you should consider: A screenshot is worth a thousand words!
Sure, that's what my brain tried to explain to my finger a moment after it clicked "reboot". Definitly my bad, but the comment does not help much now...
cronoik wrote:Try the following to find out which desktop environment is running:

Code: Select all

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
I will if it happens again, I am not certain that it will be reproductible though (it boots Mate without problem for now).
That does not mean it can not be investigated in the meantime... the login screen for example, aren't live editions supposed to auto-login as "user" (password "live") ?
And the icon, where was it coming from (not part of Mate as far as I know) ?

nani9467

Re: [please delete]

#4 Post by nani9467 »

After spending some time searching screenshots, I found what it was : simply the default login screen :oops:
This is my first time seeing it (live editions always auto-login usually), which confused me.

I will keep searching why it did not login directly, but it is probably just a fail from the DVD drive...
Sorry for the stupid question and thanks for your time cronoik !