Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot browse files with kdeconnect

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pythagorasmk

Cannot browse files with kdeconnect

#1 Post by pythagorasmk »

I am using Debian 9.6 with KDE. I have installed kadeconnect on debian and my phone. Everything is working ok ( send file, multimedia controls, remote input ) except that I cannot browse files on my phone with dolphin on my debian computer. When I open dolphin to browse the files I get this error message: "The file or folder /home/<user ID>/.config/kdeconnect/<phone ID>/kdeconnect_sftp/<phone ID>/storage/emulated/0 does not exist."
I have googled for solution but only to find that some people have the same problem that I have, but no solution.
Thanks.

bw123

Re: Cannot browse files with kdeconnect

#2 Post by bw123 »

Kind of phone? Is it an mtp device? If it is, this kind of problem goes way back. MTP is not the same as a mass storage device, so sometimes a special app is needed to use them. Like media players, etc... If there is a setting for connect mode on the device, try setting it to USB masstorage?

On the other hand, kdeconnect and dolphin may support both types, I'm not sure, did you search for documentation about what types of device it supports?

Letting people know more about the phone will probably get you a better answer.

posibly related: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=sftp+must+die
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

first result: FTP (not sftp) must die.
i don't understand?
especially not the connection to smart phones.

pythagorasmk

#4 Post by pythagorasmk »

bw123 wrote:Kind of phone? Is it an mtp device? If it is, this kind of problem goes way back. MTP is not the same as a mass storage device, so sometimes a special app is needed to use them. Like media players, etc... If there is a setting for connect mode on the device, try setting it to USB masstorage?

On the other hand, kdeconnect and dolphin may support both types, I'm not sure, did you search for documentation about what types of device it supports?

Letting people know more about the phone will probably get you a better answer.

posibly related: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=sftp+must+die

It is mtp device. The phone is Honor 7 lite ( in some countries sold as Honor 5c or Honor NEM-L21).
Using mtp kio slave i can transfer (and browse) files, but the phone must be connected with USB cable. With kdeconnect there is no need to connect the phone with USB cable, it can be connected via WiFi.
I cannot see any connection between this problem and the search "sftp must die"

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

I get the same on my Pixel phone. It worked once upon a time.

There are bug reports but no solutions:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364571
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=380022

May be related to this one:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=398684
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pythagorasmk

#6 Post by pythagorasmk »

sunrat wrote:I get the same on my Pixel phone. It worked once upon a time.

There are bug reports but no solutions:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364571
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=380022

May be related to this one:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=398684
I think I have the same problem described in the first two bugs, but I cannot replicate the syslog entries. I don't know how to increase verbosity of the log for kdeconnect.
The third bug is not connected with my problem.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

i recommend people to get aquainted with adb and a few basic commands.
because that works.

copy to phone:

Code: Select all

adb push /sdcard
copy from phone:

adb pull /sdcard/somefile

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

@debiman - yes worth looking into but other things work as well such as MTP over USB, but that's not the subject of this thread. We would just like KDE Connect to work again like it used to.
A new post on one of the bug reports suggests it is related to changes in Android 8 (and 9 for me) rather than KDE Connect itself.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364571#c7
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

piper

#9 Post by piper »

I have no problem using kdeconnect with nexus4, nexus5 and the pixel with stock google, custom roms and my own custom roms (android pie on all devices)

I am also bootloader unlocked and rooted on every phone I own and of course use kde in linux ;)

I am not a fan of dolphin, but kdeconnect works fine with it as it does in konqueror (favourite)

I just type in the url of either dolphin/konqueror

kdeconnect://c742cba6e559a480/
You can get the device id by

adb devices
Make sure your using the latest platform-tools, I use a script and name it google.sh (of course you can name it whatever), I don't install anything adb/fastboot from debian because they are way behind in the android world, and I have used sid for close to 20 years on my servers and production machines.

#!/bin/bash
wget https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
unzip \platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
cp platform-tools/adb /usr/bin/adb
cp platform-tools/fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
EDIT: I also have these installed

mtp-tools libmtp-dev libmtp-runtime libmtp9 

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

piper wrote:I have no problem using kdeconnect with nexus4, nexus5 and the pixel with stock google, custom roms and my own custom roms (android pie on all devices)

I am also bootloader unlocked and rooted on every phone I own and of course use kde in linux ;)
And there's the rub. If I understand the bug reports, it's a permission issue for KDE Connect on the phone. Rooting it would quite possibly alleviate the issue but not everyone wants to root their phone. I play Ingress and it won't run on a rooted phone.

Are you the same piper from siduction? I'm interested to know why you don't like Dolphin as in my opinion it's the best graphical file manager on any platform.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

piper

#11 Post by piper »

sunrat wrote:
piper wrote:I have no problem using kdeconnect with nexus4, nexus5 and the pixel with stock google, custom roms and my own custom roms (android pie on all devices)

And there's the rub. If I understand the bug reports, it's a permission issue for KDE Connect on the phone. Rooting it would quite possibly alleviate the issue but not everyone wants to root their phone. I play Ingress and it won't run on a rooted phone.

Are you the same piper from siduction? I'm interested to know why you don't like Dolphin as in my opinion it's the best graphical file manager on any platform.
I never really caught on to dolphin, just a personal preference thing, some like gnome some like fvwm-crystal, I like konqueror ;)

Same with all the "flat icons" nowadays, ugly stuff ;)

I understand about games not being able to play while rooted, I actually don't play any on the phone with the exception of classic rock quiz and guess the song 60's & 70's ;)

I can use google pay rooted with magisk and magisk hide :P

But if I really needed something to use, I can root & unroot in less than a minute with the longest part being the reboot.

yeppers same piper

Emperor Penguin

#12 Post by Emperor Penguin »

The problem started with the latest update of android version of Kdeconnect. In the release info of the update says:
- Fixed remote file browsing (needs desktop version 1.3.2!)
Can the problem be, that the version of desktop-side Kdeconnect on Debian is older and doesn't meet this requirement?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Indeed it seems to be fixed and working here on my Sid system since full-upgrade 2 days ago! :D
It was updated from v 1.3.1-1

$ apt-show-versions -p kdeconnect
kdeconnect:amd64/unstable 1.3.3-1 uptodate
It has also been updated in Buster. If you use Stretch you could wait for someone to backport it, or backport it yourself. https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

piper

#14 Post by piper »

These outputs also help for self diagnostics :P

kdeconnect-cli --list-devices

qdbus org.kde.kdeconnect /modules/kdeconnect/devices/your unit id/sftp isMounted

qdbus org.kde.kdeconnect /modules/kdeconnect/devices/your unit id/sftp mountAndWait

qdbus org.kde.kdeconnect /modules/kdeconnect/devices/your unit id/sftp getDirectories

df -h

Emperor Penguin

#15 Post by Emperor Penguin »

Browsing files maybe broken at the moment, but at least I am happy to have found out that I still can send and receive files to and from my android devices. I use the Mconnect gnome extension to send files to the Downloads folder of the android device and then I use an android file manager to move them to the appropriate folders inside the android device.

pythagorasmk

#16 Post by pythagorasmk »

I have found temporary solution. The problem is that the newest version of KDEConnect app requires 1.3.2 or higher version of the desktop application. That version is not easily installable on Debian 9.6. The solution is to downgrade the android app. Uninstall the app, use F-Droid to install the 1.8.4 version, disable auto update for the app and everything is working perfectly.