Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved-2] USB Stick for Car Listening

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Soapm

[Solved-2] USB Stick for Car Listening

#1 Post by Soapm »

Has anyone created a music USB Stick on Linux? No matter what I try, the head unit won't read the USB drive.

I tried mkfs.exfat and it won't read.
I tried using NTFS and it won't read.

I can format the drive in either filesystem on Windows and it works just fine, so I formatted it in windows then stuck it in my Debian box to copy over the files and again, the head unit can't read the USB stick.

I figure this out to save my life...

I have rsync all set to sync my drive with the folder I use to store my files, but once I run rsync the disk is unreadable just to the headunit. I can still read it in both Debian and Windows, just the car head unit says it's not readable?
Last edited by Soapm on 2018-12-07 17:08, edited 3 times in total.

Soapm

Re: USB Stick for Car Listening

#2 Post by Soapm »

I found a post on arch linux saying to use undevil??? Then I should be able to mount the usb drive this way and it'll work?

Code: Select all

udevil mount -o rw /dev/sdc1 
Not sure why it matters but I'll try anything so here's figuring out what undevil is and how to use it...

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by NFT5 »

I have a few USB sticks (different genres, depending on my mood), which I use in the car. My head unit runs Windows CE and reads them all just fine.

All written in Debian, just copy and paste. Sticks formatted FAT32, although some may be FAT16.

Soapm

#4 Post by Soapm »

NFT5 wrote:I have a few USB sticks (different genres, depending on my mood), which I use in the car. My head unit runs Windows CE and reads them all just fine.

All written in Debian, just copy and paste. Sticks formatted FAT32, although some may be FAT16.
Good to know, I don't know what happened but just installing the udevil packages and it started working with a NTFS filesystem??? Not sure which package did the trick since udvil installed about 38 packages but I just had it working while I went to the store.

Do you mount your usb drives using fstab or do you mount them another way? My reading says not to use fstab since the head unit doesn't know what to do with the attributes or I could be reading it all wrong... But other programs like udevil, pmount or usbmount does it a little different???

pendrachken

#5 Post by pendrachken »

Soapm wrote:
NFT5 wrote:I have a few USB sticks (different genres, depending on my mood), which I use in the car. My head unit runs Windows CE and reads them all just fine.

Good to know, I don't know what happened but just installing the udevil packages and it started working with a NTFS filesystem??? Not sure which package did the trick since udvil installed about 38 packages but I just had it working while I went to the store.

Do you mount your usb drives using fstab or do you mount them another way? My reading says not to use fstab since the head unit doesn't know what to do with the attributes or I could be reading it all wrong... But other programs like udevil, pmount or usbmount does it a little different???

Headunit should read FAT32 sticks. It doesn't matter how they are mounted FAT filesystems do not support ANY attributes. Note - some headunits won't read exfat, it's a little bit different. You would have to format the stick as vfat / fat32.

That being said automounting on plugging in is the easiest. After that I mount /umount by hand through the terminal.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

In Linux you can create a filesystem without partitioning. I do not use Windows, but it may create a partition table whether you want or not. Then there is a question of type, MBR or GPT. It has to be compatible with your player, which probably is not very versatile.

Soapm

#7 Post by Soapm »

My player is a DDX6904s and it claims to support fat, xfat and NTFS. It would read all of those file systems until I loaded the usb drive into my Debian box, then it would report an error with the filesystem. I've got 3 other usb disk I'm testing with, one formatted on debian with each of the file systems. I'll see if they play tomorrow but like I said, udevil loaded about 38 pages with several having dos in their names so I'm guessing they helped Linux better deal with the drives???

But the drive was mounted via fstab since I was googling how to mount a drive to /music using udevil? I never did figure out how to use it.

Soapm

#8 Post by Soapm »

Wow, this is frustrating. This is the line I now have in fstab after all the back and forth advice I'm reading from google.

UUID="7488-0B18"     /music        exfat  defaults,noatime,umask=000,dmask=000,fmask=000,uid=65534,gid=65534        0 0
And i still get a bunch of errors like this at the end of the rsync cycle.

chown: changing ownership of '/music/': Operation not permitted
Is all these setting really necessary? What can I be missing that causes rsync to error at the end? I'm seeing so many conflicting options for mounting exfat in fstab that my head is spinning because I have no idea what any of these do or how to tell what my drive is looking for?

I then tried setting up the udevil and it looks as bad as fstab??? Is there a laymans version of what all this means?

nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, fmask=0133, dmask=0022, uid=$UID, gid=$GID

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

I would guess your rsync command is trying to set usernames/groups to the files you have copied which is causing this problem on a usb stick that is not capable of saving this information, please post your rsync command to verify this.

Segfault

#10 Post by Segfault »

Uppercase/Lowercase. I recall DOS is illiterate, it cannot distinguish between U/l case. Maybe your player expects all uppercase filenames?

Soapm

#11 Post by Soapm »

Dai_trying wrote:I would guess your rsync command is trying to set usernames/groups to the files you have copied which is causing this problem on a usb stick that is not capable of saving this information, please post your rsync command to verify this.
I have this in my bash file so all I have to do is insert the usb drive and type "sync". Not sure where I got -arv from, obviously google provided the site but perhaps the secret is there...

alias sync='rsync -arv /video/Music/Car\ SD\ Stick\ -\ Unsorted/ /music/ --delete-after'
Also note, I just realized this is only happening on exfat formatted drives, the ones formatted NTFS don't have this problem. So I am guessing the settings are different for exfat than they are for ntfs in the fstab file???

Soapm

#12 Post by Soapm »

Segfault wrote:Uppercase/Lowercase. I recall DOS is illiterate, it cannot distinguish between U/l case. Maybe your player expects all uppercase filenames?
The same files are read in the player when copied from my windows machine, I'm just trying to get this to work from my headless video server so I can just use the rsync command to keep the archive in sync with the usb stick. My idea is to be able to change the archives with updates, deletions, etc... then every now and then sync it to the stick in the car.

Segfault

#13 Post by Segfault »

OK, you have the USB stick made in Windows which can be read. And it won't be read after some files are added in Linux. So analyze the drive before and after. What is different? Shouldn't be hard to find out.

Dai_trying

#14 Post by Dai_trying »

the -a option is adding a lot of other options (-rlptgoD) which are making rsync attempt to preserve permissions as well as owner and group. I would suspect this could be the problem, could you try without the -a option?

Soapm

#15 Post by Soapm »

Dai_trying wrote:the -a option is adding a lot of other options (-rlptgoD) which are making rsync attempt to preserve permissions as well as owner and group. I would suspect this could be the problem, could you try without the -a option?
Yes, I will give that a try when I get home this evening. Thanks...

Soapm

#16 Post by Soapm »

Segfault wrote:OK, you have the USB stick made in Windows which can be read. And it won't be read after some files are added in Linux. So analyze the drive before and after. What is different? Shouldn't be hard to find out.
What's a good command or tool for comparing the usb sticks. I've been using blkid and lsblk but obviously they don't give much info???

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Check out the tools they use: https://askubuntu.com/questions/568565/ ... t-encoding

Linux does not change your partitions and filesystem without your command, thus it must be some charset issue, methinks.

pcalvert

#18 Post by pcalvert »

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Soapm

#19 Post by Soapm »

pcalvert wrote:This may be helpful:
https://www.clug.org/rsync-to-fat32-drives/

Phil
@Dai_trying = bingo... It was the a as verified in Phil's link.

Thanks Phil, I booked marked that link in case I decide to use exfat again.

Dai_trying

Re: [Solved] USB Stick for Car Listening

#20 Post by Dai_trying »

Good news, and useful link too. :)