Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

flash stopped working

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ckosloff

flash stopped working

#1 Post by ckosloff »

steve_pusser replied by private message:
Debian doesn't care much about fixing their broken Flash installers and updaters, but there are the MX adobe-flashplugin packages: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/ that I keep updated, or the Ubuntu PPA version is also safe to install in Debian:

http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/poo ... ashplugin/

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/canonical_partner

or there are the flashplayer-chromium and flashplayer-mozilla packages in the non-free section of deb-multimedia.

There are two different kinds of Flash, depending on what browser type you're using. The MX and Ubuntu packages install both, deb-multimedia has two separate packages.

But I think this question affects a lot of users besides you, so why not have it in the public forum?

ckosloff

Re: flash stopped working

#2 Post by ckosloff »

Idownloaded file from mxrepo and got gdebi error in package adobe-flash-properties-kde: dependency is not satisfiable: adobe-flashplugin (=1:20181205 1-1mx17+1).
I believe this is latest version for my arch and kde.
I also installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree from buster as wiki recommends, but pesky website still complains about adobe flash player not installed, package installed in /usr/lib/chromium

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

What's the website? Can we test it?

ckosloff

#4 Post by ckosloff »

That website is behind a membership wall, sorry.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

The reason I asked is that I don't use Flash any more and rarely find any site that pretends to need it. Anyway, if you still want it, use the MX one from Steve's repository.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

ckosloff wrote:Idownloaded file from mxrepo and got gdebi error in package adobe-flash-properties-kde: dependency is not satisfiable: adobe-flashplugin (=1:20181205 1-1mx17+1).
I believe this is latest version for my arch and kde.
I also installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree from buster as wiki recommends, but pesky website still complains about adobe flash player not installed, package installed in /usr/lib/chromium
You need to install the adobe-flashplugin package, as the error message said, since that one contains the plugins. The properties-kde package just has a KDE settings module to set the plugin's properties, and other users can use the gtk version, but they are just frosting on top of the main plugin package, which should work without those.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

ckosloff wrote:That website is behind a membership wall, sorry.
Well, what does Adobe say you have installed? https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

ckosloff

#8 Post by ckosloff »

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version
Your browser name
Firefox
Your Operating System (OS)
Linux

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version
Flash Player disabled
Your browser name
Google Chrome
Linux

ckosloff

#9 Post by ckosloff »

Allowing Flash in Chromium fixed the issue, now how to make it permanent for all websites using Flash?

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Flash 13.1.2 is ancient, you need 32.0.0.101, like what I get with the MX packages:
YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version
Your browser name
Firefox
Linux

ckosloff

#11 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:Flash 13.1.2 is ancient, you need 32.0.0.101, like what I get with the MX packages:
YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version
Your browser name
Firefox
Linux
You need to install the adobe-flashplugin package
I cannot find this package in repo, I am using stable + backports, how install in order not to get the dependency error?

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Please read this thread again and follow the link to get the MX packages, and install the right one this time.

ckosloff

#13 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:Please read this thread again and follow the link to get the MX packages, and install the right one this time.
Sorry, but for the life of me I cannot understand which package I need to install, I installed the MX -17 repo now, so please give me instructions on how to update the mozilla package.

ckosloff

#14 Post by ckosloff »

I downloaded the latest adobe-flashplugin from ubuntuupdates.org.
Is that the one?

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

You need to install the adobe-flashplugin package. If you did add the MX repo, with the non-free section, then

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install adobe-flashplugin
Otherwise, you can directly download the adobe-flashplugin deb for MX 17 for your architecture from here: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/

and install the local deb file by any of the means that are repeated countless times in these forums (hint: gdebi). Note that I DID NOT SAY the adobe-flashplugin-properities-XXX debs, those are optional.

The Ubuntu packages are set to work with their variant of the Chromium browser and will not work with Debian's. I have modified the MX packages to work with Debian's.

ckosloff

#16 Post by ckosloff »

I need to add the keys for the MX-17 repo, I got the syntax from the website, and I tried to download the key, I can do both, but, should I download the key into some directory in my system and then navigate there in Konsole and execute the command?

ckosloff

#17 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:You need to install the adobe-flashplugin package. If you did add the MX repo, with the non-free section, then

apt update
Otherwise, you can directly download the adobe-flashplugin deb for MX 17 for your architecture from here: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/

and install the local deb file by any of the means that are repeated countless times in these forums (hint: gdebi). Note that I DID NOT SAY the adobe-flashplugin-properities-XXX debs, those are optional.

The Ubuntu packages are set to work with their variant of the Chromium browser and will not work with Debian's. I have modified the MX packages to work with Debian's.

ckosloff

#18 Post by ckosloff »

ckosloff wrote:
stevepusser wrote:You need to install the adobe-flashplugin package. If you did add the MX repo, with the non-free section, then

apt update

ckosloff@crosshair:/media/Data/Linux_downloads$ gdebi adobe-flashplugin_20181205.1-1mx17+1_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Conflicts with the installed package 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree'
ckosloff@crosshair:/media/Data/Linux_downloads$ 
I tried as root with same results.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

Remove pepperflashplugin-nonfree first. It broke a long time ago and hasn't been fixed.

You can download and install the mx-archive-keyring package to use the repo: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/m ... e-keyring/