Is it possible to output multi-channel PCM over HDMI?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Is it possible to output multi-channel PCM over HDMI?

Postby MH » 2018-12-24 02:05

I had this working, briefly, on my GT710 (nvidia), but subsequent driver updates reverted output to 2-channel PCM only. To be honest, I'm not sure if was the nvidia-driver update or pulseaudio. I would prefer to use the Nouveau driver, but it's never worked properly with this card. Also, as far as I can tell Nouveau does not support audio over HDMI. I've been thinking about replacing my video card with something from AMD, but judging from I've seen on forums, the AMDGPU has similar issues. I've literally spent months trying to sort this out, reading forums, trying different driver versions, etc. without success.

My question is, does ANYONE have multi-channel PCM output over HDMI (home theater system). If so, what combination of hardware and software are you using, and how did you configure it?
DOS > Windows > Corel > RH > Libranet > Xandros > SuSE > Debian:KDE

"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere." --Voltaire
MH

Re: Is it possible to output multi-channel PCM over HDMI?

Postby CwF » 2018-12-24 13:23

Help me understand the question!
Are you making a distinction of 'PCM' as in analog? Then No, that's not something we'd want.
In the pulseaudion controls under the configuration tab you should see a full list, none list PCM, but there is 5.1 and 7.1 in addition to stereo.
The driver is 'Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel' which nouveau works with.
CwF

Postby Segfault » 2018-12-24 22:48

The idea of digital sound is it passes thru untouched, i. e. as it comes from input (file) it passes thru sound hardware and HDMI and is not modified in any way until after DAC. But of course, there is PulseAudio, it just must mess with everything ...
Segfault

Postby CwF » 2018-12-25 01:44

On second thought, I do know what you mean. I think pulseaudio simply passes, so set to 7.1, it's now up to the program feeding the audio from a 7.1 source. Then, in your receiver(?) it reports DTS, Dolby whatever, LPCM, PCM, and in your example the source is raw pcm 7.1, un-encoded, and you see stereo on the receiver! ? In that case, no idea, other than try a later display port card, hasn't hdmi more limited bandwidth?
CwF

Return to Desktop & Multimedia