Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

national keyboard layout in Debian 9 KDE

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Radvan

national keyboard layout in Debian 9 KDE

#1 Post by Radvan »

Well, it is a long time known problem but now, it concerns me and drives me crazy. Dead keys aren't working in a national keyboard layout. In my case, Czech keyboard. Czech is using accented characters entered by a dead key plus an unaccented character. The accents are eaten away or the whole combination (the accent plus the character} is lost.
The problem is affecting Libre Office, Kate, QtCreator or KMail at least. Therefore, it is a Debian bug, not the application bug. Moreover, from the Libre Office bug log I know that the testing Debian 10 is "featured" by the bug again.

What is known to me that works:
(1) Some frequent lowercase accented characters are in the layout. They works and you can enter uppercase variants using CapsLock + lowercase.
(2) LibreOffice: Enter Special character works.
(3) You can use Char Select Copy to Clipboard + ctrl-V
(4) From the Libre Office bug log: uninstalling the KDE desktop shell is said to solve the problem. I haven't tried that.

Not very attractive. How to make dead keys work in KDE?