Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Rhythmbox (mp3)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sjsj

[SOLVED] Rhythmbox (mp3)

#1 Post by sjsj »

Hello,

Sorry, I speak a little English.

I would like audio cd read/scan/rip, but not ogg file format. I need mp3 format. Why not choose the export file extension? Why only ogg? How to settings mp3? The very old Debian/Rhythmbox settings is OK. I know use mp3 export, not ogg, but now not know.

Please help me. Thanks!
Last edited by sjsj on 2019-03-10 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

Re: Rhythmbox (mp3)

#2 Post by arzgi »

Install lame. as root:

Code: Select all

apt install lame

sjsj

#3 Post by sjsj »

arzgi wrote:Install lame. as root:

Code: Select all

apt install lame
OK and after? The ogg format has remained.

TheExplorer

#4 Post by TheExplorer »

Try this: go to Edit > Preferences > Music Change 'Format settings' to 'Custom Settings'.
Money is the evil of all root. Be free. Use Linux.

TheExplorer

#5 Post by TheExplorer »

Otherwise you may try a very nice player/converter Deadbeef. There is even a portable version.
Money is the evil of all root. Be free. Use Linux.

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

I think that the required LAME libraries to rip CD into MP3 are already pulled by Rhythmbox trough gstreamer1.0-plugins-good.
What encoding options do you have within Rhythmbox's preferences?

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

you may have some really valid reason to use the worst format (mp3) available today, but if not consider one of the alternatives.

aac replaced mp3 a long time a go as it can achieve better sound quality at better compression rates. In addition, according to wikipedia, "several blind listening tests have ranked ogg opus higher-quality than any other standard audio format at any given bitrate until transparency is reached, including MP3, AAC, and HE-AAC"

FLAC is even better as it is lossless. And I have never seen a phone or computer that cannot play these two formats. In addition, they are royalty free and open formats.
Last edited by pylkko on 2019-03-04 08:45, edited 2 times in total.

sjsj

#8 Post by sjsj »

TheExplorer wrote:Try this: go to Edit > Preferences > Music Change 'Format settings' to 'Custom Settings'.
How to go Edit? I can't find any menu, setting. :cry:

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

From the picture you send you appear to be using Gnome shell, there is a black bar at the top of the screen,and next to activities (Tevékenységek) there is a menu for rhythmbox (this is visible in the picture you posted). PRess that, then press "settings"

This is, by the way, a thing that will be removed in the future in GNOME (that there are these menus) because apparently it was confusing and people didn't undertand why many apps have the menus in themselves whereas GTK apps have them up there. But getting rid of these will happen only in versions of GNOME that will not be in Debian 10.

sjsj

#10 Post by sjsj »

pylkko wrote:From the picture you send you appear to be using Gnome shell, there is a black bar at the top of the screen,and next to activities (Tevékenységek) there is a menu for rhythmbox (this is visible in the picture you posted). PRess that, then press "settings"

This is, by the way, a thing that will be removed in the future in GNOME (that there are these menus) because apparently it was confusing and people didn't undertand why many apps have the menus in themselves whereas GTK apps have them up there. But getting rid of these will happen only in versions of GNOME that will not be in Debian 10.
Thanks, it works. I'm sorry, but I didn't see it.