Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bluetooth Speaker connection not working properly [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ItsShowtime

Bluetooth Speaker connection not working properly [SOLVED]

#1 Post by ItsShowtime »

Hi everyone,

I am running Debian 9 (Gnome Desktop minimal installation), and I am not able to play sound through my Ultimate Ears Megaboom Bluetooth Speaker.

I have correctly paired the device over bluetooth (ps: my bluetooth mouse is working properly). In the beginning when connected to the speaker, it showed up under sound output devices as Headphone instead of Speaker (correct name/identifier), and when performing sounds tests it did not work. At this moment, it is not even showing up under sound output devices anymore. You can find screens attached.

Can anybody help me with this issue? I have not found any decent answers on the internet. I would be happy to share more info or gather output if needed.

https://ibb.co/7vg5VXb
https://ibb.co/2dyMCTt
Last edited by ItsShowtime on 2021-01-02 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

Re: Bluetooth Speaker connection not working properly

#2 Post by arzgi »

Switch the speaker on, open nautilus, and give command

Code: Select all

hcitool scan
Does it show your speaker?

ItsShowtime

#3 Post by ItsShowtime »

arzgi wrote:Switch the speaker on, open nautilus, and give command

hcitool scan
Does it show your speaker?
Thank you for the reply and sorry for coming back to this so lately.

The command "hcitool scan" does not give me any connected devices in the output, it only outputs that it's scanning and lists nothing after completing the scan. Is that a bad sign? However, I do get a status of "connected" under Bluetooth settings.

PS: I am now noticing the same issues with my bluetooth headphone. The following happens: I can connect everything over bluetooth, I can select the wanted device as output device for sound, I hear nothing and for some reason notice extra lag when playing videos and the bluetooth enabled device is selected as sound output device. My bluetooth mouse has always been working properly on this Debian 9 Desktop (Gnome Desktop Minimal installation).

ItsShowtime

#4 Post by ItsShowtime »

Hi guys,

The issue is still present to date. In the bluetooth preferences menu the device(s) show up as being connected. The bluetooth devices also signal that they are connected.

But the sound menu does not display bluetooth media devices after getting them connected. I assume this problem could be caused by Debian not realizing that the connected bluetooth device is a media output capable device, is thereany way to resolve such an issue?

I am now experiencing the exact same issue with my bluetooth headphones+speakers which are not showing up as sound output and input after getting them connected.

PS: Like mentioned before, my bluetooth mouse works fine with this Debian machine.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

Make sure pulseaudio-module-bluetooth is installed.

ItsShowtime

#6 Post by ItsShowtime »

CwF wrote:Make sure pulseaudio-module-bluetooth is installed.
Hi CwF,

Thanks for your reply, I tried to install the module with apt-get install, but turns out it was already installed and thus I guess it will be running automatically as well?

Unfortunately I've not found a fix so far, and search results are keeping me clueless as well, seems like I am one of the few experiencing this issue. :?

ItsShowtime

#7 Post by ItsShowtime »

Hi all,

Looks like the bluetooth stuff got working all of a sudden. Maybe it got fixed during a certain general upgrade.

Thanks for your time!

ItsShowtime

#8 Post by ItsShowtime »

Hi all,

I can happily share with you that the issue was resolved after I installed 'pavucontrol':

apt install ppavucontrol
The issue was most likely a lack of high fidelity (A2DP) support, as described in this guide:
https://dev.to/campbelljones74/common-b ... -them-18b5