Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing kde from unstable?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

Installing kde from unstable?

#1 Post by Guest »

Sorry if this is some fairly obvious stuff, I'm new to Debian. Anyways I'm trying to install KDE 3.4.1 on Sarge, but all I can seem to get is 3.3.2. If I try

apt-get -s -t unstable install kdebase=4:3.4.1-1

I get a bunch of complaints that it's expecting 3.4.1-1 versions of all the dependent packages, but that it will be trying to install the 3.3.2-1 versions.

apt-get -s install kde/unstable

just tried to install version 3.3.2. How can I force apt-get to grab something from unstable along with the relevant versions of the dependent packages?

#2 Post by Guest »

Oh wait, it's in experimental huh. I think I got it working now :D

petteri

#3 Post by petteri »

This is not really the best time to install kde from unstable or experimental. Read here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005 ... 00089.html
Hopefully all went ok, if not wait couple of weeks as the message states.

moonlight

#4 Post by moonlight »

As a noob, it's sometimes easier to stay with a choosen repository (stable, testing, unstable); in stead of mixing things, just wait until the package drops in. Especially when you are talking about packages with a lot of dependencies, you have to think twice if it's worth the risk.

I don't know, if you have a specific reason for the upgrade, if not really needed, just wait is my suggesting.

Debian stable: kde 3.3.2
Debian testing: kde 3.3.2
Debian unstable: kde 3.4.2

Cheers, Moonlight