Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Synaptic isn't available anymore in Debian Buster

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GarryRicketson

Re: [Answered] Synaptic isn't available anymore in Debian Bu

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

I use my browser, and then when I find one I want, simply copy paste the name into the
terminal, prefixed with 'apt install ''.
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

For example I find this one https://packages.debian.org/stable/comm/asterisk-config"asterisk-config " , and decide I want to install it.

Code: Select all

apt install asterisk-config

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote:If only Debian had a "Package Search" program that could also install them! https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all :D
I just tried that one in Sid and it was looking good until it froze when I clicked the "Clear Search" button.
Only thing I ever used Synaptic for was to search for packages in a particular repo, which it did quite well. Otherwise used apt on CLI for package management.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:Only thing I ever used Synaptic for was to search for packages in a particular repo
https://superuser.com/questions/132346/ ... 726#138726
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
sunrat wrote:Only thing I ever used Synaptic for was to search for packages in a particular repo
https://superuser.com/questions/132346/ ... 726#138726
Yes I know there are other ways but I do it so rarely I would have to search for the correct syntax on the internet each time. As is often the case on SU, there are multiple different ways to do it each claiming the other one is not quite right.
Which way would you do it @Head_on_a_Stick? I trust your opinion.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:Which way would you do it @Head_on_a_Stick?
Hey, you know me, I hate GUIs so it's commando line all the way :)

I'm going to have to learn how to use aptitude's search function properly, it is an awesome tool.
sunrat wrote:I trust your opinion
Well thank you but you should only ever trust one person: yourself.
deadbang

KBD47

#21 Post by KBD47 »

This is what happens when Gnome is the default desktop. Not happy with wrecking their own DE, they want to ruin the party for everybody. Keep Synaptic--dump Gnome.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

KBD47 wrote: Keep Synaptic--dump Gnome.
Agree. They both should play nice.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#23 Post by Bloom »

I use XFCE. Totally happy with it.

Bulkley

#24 Post by Bulkley »

It looks like Synaptic is in Sid. Anyone tried it in Buster? Whatever, it will probably wend its way down in due time.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by CwF »

Bulkley wrote: Anyone tried it in Buster?.
Yes, my synaptic reports it was upgraded from .2 to .5 on 12/4/18. When the testing version was in Buster.

No issues. At that time I also address and changed its menu for no password polkit use in xfce.

stevepusser

#26 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, you can still get it from Sid or snapshot.debian.org.
MX Linux packager and developer

piperdan

#27 Post by piperdan »

jrobin28260 wrote:Do you know cool "Synaptic" alternatives for finding packages (even if we don't remember the name very well), today I'm looking on Google for the name with "Debian Packages" behind but this isn't as good

I use Muon in KDE. It's still there and works great for me.

jrobin28260

#28 Post by jrobin28260 »

Thanks piperdan, muon is almost as good. If you enter "package search" muon doesn't find the correct application until you write it "package-search" or "packagesearch" so I'm still disappointed as this new solution would be a step back into working things I had before.

Thanks stevepusser, never heard before about "packagesearch" which is finding as good as synaptic - but it's half broken since Debian 9, as "Update Apt-Package Database" fail with errors about incorrect syntax calling debtag. And the "clear search" freeze... and who know what else is broken, I'll never agree to use such kind of nightmare bunch of concentrated failures : this kind of programs are really is bad for my physical and mental health. When you want things to be good you shouldn't feel fine against unacceptable things, so my reactions and frustration are bad when I feel stuck in front of those.

Head_on_a_Stick, gnome-software doesn't work if you're not using Gnome (half broken too ?)
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... -52-46.png
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... -52-30.png

Finally, command lines tools cannot be compared to GUI, even if I love using them on servers or particular cases (programming, scripting, automation) : if command lines tools had a "getErgonomicScore()" feature giving something from 0 to 10, it would return -1 :lol:
Just look at answers on your link https://superuser.com/questions/132346/ ... 726#138726
I know it wasn't a joke, but for somebody who doesn't use those shell programming tools, this is light years from any kind of acceptable solutions : I'm well placed to know that even C/C++/Python programming are still more powerful because you will always find something missing into any GUI or command line program, as soon as you want to craft something. If you feel this is an exaggeration you're wrong, it's just the same thing, 1 step further.

I guess I will use Google, and a mixture of different bad tools in order to replace something that was fully working and satisfying, so I guess I won't surprise anybody saying that I'm frustrated about that.
Most of the time I look into what Raspberry Pi Foundation is using for Raspbian. It's often really good/exemplary. If I find something as good as Synaptic for replacement I'll keep you informed here.

Thanks anyway for your feedbacks.
Last edited by jrobin28260 on 2019-04-10 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#29 Post by GarryRicketson »

They need to make GUI for making thumbnails, so that these clowns can post images of a reasonable size.
Please learn to thumbnail images

Wheelerof4te

#30 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Best comment here, LOL.

OP, I'm sorry to inform you, but in order to use ANY kind of install/remove GUI in Debian 10, you will need to use GNOME on Wayland. And you get only GNOME Software, so don't hope that you will have a choice.
:mrgreen:

jrobin28260

#31 Post by jrobin28260 »

This is a little bit out of subject but I agree :wink:
GarryRicketson wrote:They need to make GUI for making thumbnails, so that these clowns can post images of a reasonable size.
Please learn to thumbnail images

Come on, it wasn't even 1/3 of a screen wide :roll:

But you're right, I saw a lot for forums using more modern things, you can just click "insert picture" and upload it or give the link, then the picture is displayed with 2 sizes (small with a legend, and big when you click on it) so everybody is fine, even on smartphone web browser. Or resized only if necessary.
So here again, if you have tons of links about people discussing why it is, why it's good or why it's bad, without having any solution, this isn't fine ;)

And https, too. It's a little bit of a geeky stuff (with command lines !) but no one should be allowed to drive any server, or record any data about anybody, if unable to follow that https://certbot.eff.org/

Back to this subject :
Raspbian embeds his own package GUI (pi-package, running against something called packagekitd) but this really sucks (again) : "package search" search seems to give the entire list of packages, like ten of thousands of elements into the list. I remember it, now : I already felt angry against this things as it's painfully slow and after several minutes of waiting, this app gives you the middle finger :lol: . So for now, I just have to take this little step back and accept it.

EDIT :

PS :
Wheelerof4te wrote: OP, I'm sorry to inform you, but in order to use ANY kind of install/remove GUI in Debian 10, you will need to use GNOME on Wayland. And you get only GNOME Software, so don't hope that you will have a choice.
:mrgreen:
That's not true.
Muon isn't as good as Synaptic but it works, without wayland and without gnome !

grege

#32 Post by grege »

Select any other desktop during the Buster install and you get Synaptic. Working just nicely on my notebook with Buster and Xfce4.

golinux

#33 Post by golinux »

And the lockin progresses. I'm pretty sure that Devuan will sort this before we release Beowulf.
May the FORK be with you!

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

grege wrote:Select any other desktop during the Buster install and you get Synaptic. Working just nicely on my notebook with Buster and Xfce4.
That's impossible if the package isn't in the Buster repository, and it's not. Where would it be coming from?
MX Linux packager and developer

luvr

Re: Synaptic isn't available anymore in Debian 10 Buster

#35 Post by luvr »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Synaptic is officialy removed from Buster because it does not work on default DE GNOME using now default dysplay server, i.e. Wayland. Average, inexperienced users are better of using GNOME software/Discover, and those with more experience should know how to handle apt. However, it might come back if the offending bug is fixed.
Makes sense to me.
Isn’t that just a teeny-weeny little bit insane? I have always assumed that Debian was the reference platform par excellence when it come to Synaptic. Whether you like it or not, Synaptic has always been an integral part of the Debian identity, at least in my view.

That doesn’t mean that Synaptic needs to remain in Debian forever; it sure can evolve into something better (for some definition of “better”), but giving up on it simply because it cannot run with one desktop environment using one particular display server that is so brand new that it will have quite some way to go until it is in general use, … seems a bit… drastic to me.

It makes me wonder to what extent Debian continues to consider anything but GNOME-on-Wayland like first-class citizens. If other environments are really going to be relegated to the back-burner, then I will have no choice but to lose my interest in Debian. While that would be a pity, there wouldn’t be any hard feelings on my part; I’m sure I’d find a new home anyhow.

I’m an XFCE user, and I left GNOME after I had attempted to use GNOME 3 on Debian exclusively for a month (which eventually became six weeks), and I concluded that GNOME 3 was not for me. I have no intention whatsoever to look back.