Xfce: better event recognition than Gnome?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Xfce: better event recognition than Gnome?

Postby Onsemeliot » 2019-04-05 05:41

Since I am doing a lot of copying of CDs and DVDs onto a backup disk and I use my old recently freshly installed laptop with Debian stable and Xfce I noticed that it is actually a much better experience to do it on Xfce than on Gnome. This is just due to the fact that Xfce shows me reliably when the copying is actually done and when I can remove the disc. Gnome doesn't seem to be able to do that. It normally already shows me that it is done when the device actually needs some more time.

This is surprising to me since the newer system is more powerful and it isn't because the disk drive is different because I use the same external drive in both cases. Sure the always visible progress indicator in Nautilus is nice but having the correct information is in practice much more valuable than eye candy.

I don't dislike Gnome 3. I have used it for years now and over all I love how I can interact with it and how it doesn't overwhelm me with options in every corner while giving relevant features when ever I need them. But the reliability of Xfce has so far proven to be very sexy – even if it doesn't look as well. And of course I also love the lower footprint – especially on my older hardware.

But on the other hand the login after auto-logout is very bad: it takes up to about 30 seconds before the login screen shows up and then I normally have to login a second time (with an other waiting at a black screen) before I get actually back to the desktop.
Onsemeliot

Re: Xfce: better event recognition than Gnome?

Postby Danielsan » 2019-04-05 14:33

Back to time I was very happy with Gnome 2 but with Gome 3 I definitevely switched to XFCE4, I tried Mate but I found XFCE4 more organic even if Mate has some nice features. Indisputably XFCE4 is very nice to use if you want a consistent and reliable desktop experience!
Danielsan

Postby NoNoNo » 2019-04-14 12:20

I ran thunar even in gnome3, nautilus is terrible now.

Binary file-size indicator (1024 instead 1000) is important to me.
OOh , Windows NT 6.1 is fading... (Should I panic now?)
NoNoNo

Postby ezukax » 2019-04-16 10:46

Short answer is yes it has gnome3 move away from the traditional which also causes such deficiencies
ezukax

Postby MagicPoulp » 2019-04-23 12:18

Yes but XFCE has too few developers and they will have wayland when the chickens will have teeth as part of the standard life evolution process. I liked XFCE very much, until wayland became needed to reduce tearing. I chose GNome over KDE and others because it has a good release (not a beta version) and it is in C and not C++.
MagicPoulp

Return to Desktop & Multimedia