Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Google earth black screen on testing

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Totoxa

[SOLVED] Google earth black screen on testing

#1 Post by Totoxa »

Hi,

I've installed google earth on my debian testing machine (intel i7 3520M, 16GB ram, integrated video) and I just get a black screen where the satellite images should be shown.

If I click the "Acceder" (Sign in) button and then cancel I get some artifacts on the previously black area.

I've tried different dns settings, 3d settings and different GE versions but it doesn't work on testing. When run from the console there is no related warning or error shown.
It works fine on the same machine running debian stretch.

Have any of you ran into this issue? did you solve it?
Last edited by Totoxa on 2019-04-23 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Google earth black screen on testing

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I believe it's not compatible with the DDX xserver-xorg-video-intel driver; at least I get the same problem with two laptops using that driver. Since they are Optimus laptops, I just have Bumblebee run GE Pro with the Nvidia card.

If you install inxi and run "inxi -G", what driver does it say you're using? You might be able to fix it by using the modesetting driver, or there is an older google-earth-pro-stable_7.1.8.3036-r0_amd64.deb out there in places on the Net that works with the intel driver.
MX Linux packager and developer

Totoxa

Re: Google earth black screen on testing

#3 Post by Totoxa »

This is my "inxi -G" output, I think I disabled the modesetting driver some time ago (don't remember why)

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 18.3.4
I've installed the google-earth-pro-stable_7.1.8.3036-r0_amd64.deb package and it works fine.

I will try using the modesetting driver and report if the newer versions work.

Thanks.

EDIT: I uninstalled the xserver-xorg-video-intel package and removed my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file and now the latest version of GE works fine.
stevepusser wrote:I believe it's not compatible with the DDX xserver-xorg-video-intel driver; at least I get the same problem with two laptops using that driver. Since they are Optimus laptops, I just have Bumblebee run GE Pro with the Nvidia card.

If you install inxi and run "inxi -G", what driver does it say you're using? You might be able to fix it by using the modesetting driver, or there is an older google-earth-pro-stable_7.1.8.3036-r0_amd64.deb out there in places on the Net that works with the intel driver.

stevepusser

Re: [SOLVED] Google earth black screen on testing

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I'm pretty sure you get the modesetting driver by default with your hardware, even with that "intel" driver installed. Glad to see you fixed it though; that vesa driver was not getting the most from your hardware.

Totoxa

#5 Post by Totoxa »

stevepusser wrote:I'm pretty sure you get the modesetting driver by default with your hardware, even with that "intel" driver installed. Glad to see you fixed it though; that vesa driver was not getting the most from your hardware.
I think I stayed with the intel driver because I had some screen tearing problems and I managed to fix it in the 20-intel.conf file.

After enabling the modesetting driver the output of "inxi -G" didn't change though.

Thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For the record, this will show the DDX driver in use:

xrandr --listproviders
For example, my system uses the Intel driver so I see

Puffy:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
Puffy:~$
The associated providers bit shows the driver.
deadbang

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Totoxa wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I'm pretty sure you get the modesetting driver by default with your hardware, even with that "intel" driver installed. Glad to see you fixed it though; that vesa driver was not getting the most from your hardware.
I think I stayed with the intel driver because I had some screen tearing problems and I managed to fix it in the 20-intel.conf file.

After enabling the modesetting driver the output of "inxi -G" didn't change though.

Thanks.
Yes, I also use the intel driver because I too can't get rid of the tearing using modesetting, but I hand off GE Pro to the Nvidia GPU anyway--it's a lot more powerful.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2019-04-30 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Totoxa

#8 Post by Totoxa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:For the record, this will show the DDX driver in use:

xrandr --listproviders
For example, my system uses the Intel driver so I see

Puffy:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
Puffy:~$
The associated providers bit shows the driver.
Thanks, the output of that command shows "name:modesetting".
stevepusser wrote:
Totoxa wrote:

Thanks.
Yes, I also use the intel driver because I to can't get rid of the tearing using modesetting, but I hand off GE Pro to the Nvidia GPU anyway--it's a lot more powerful.
In the short period I've been using the modesetting driver I haven't noticed any screen tearing.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I've only seen the modesetting tearing in Intel sixth generation and eighth generation (-6XXX and -8XXX integrated GPUs), but those are the only hardware I have. It might not affect your generation of hardware.