Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt module for polybar

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

apt module for polybar

#1 Post by cds60601 »

Wondering is anyone has something that will show me how many packages need to be updated that will show in polybar (i3)
Something like pamac-tray in Arch

Cheers
C
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: apt module for polybar

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Hi Chris :)

Can't you just adapt the ArchLabs version?

Polybar isn't available in Debian anyway, although I think stevepusser has a version in his OBS repository.
deadbang

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

I'll have a look at that, HoaS. Yeah - I ended up pulling from git and compiled it. It's not as tough as I originally thought it might be.
I do have a little script running that I found on reddit - works Ok and does not update, just lets me know that there are "x" packages to be updated.

Kinda fun dabbling back to my original OS - surprisingly, didn't forget nearly as much as I thought I would have :D

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cds60601 wrote:I do have a little script running that I found on reddit - works Ok and does not update, just lets me know that there are "x" packages to be updated.
It is actually "safe" to update the package database but not upgrade the packages in Debian stable, unlike in Arch.

So:

Code: Select all

# apt update
Then:

apt list --upgradable
Or:

aptitude search ?upgradable
deadbang

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

Outstanding - thanks for the additional info - off topic and I figure you might know of something - for S&G, I installed Cinnamon and of course, it uses lightdm.
Curious thing about that - I end up with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner after boot. Of course, If I opt for GDM as a login mgr, it works perfectly.
Seems odd and seems like most threads I read up on reflected back to a few years ago. Now I don't know for certain if that works the same way with Stable, with Testing - this is what I encounter. So on an install I have, I do run i3 but use GDM.

Its not something I will have sleepless nights over, just something I noticed.

C

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GDM is a much better choice than LightDM, the latter runs X as root and so is significantly less secure.

It should be possible to ditch the display manger entirely:

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target
As long as Cinnamon is set as the x-session-manager alternative then startx from a console log in should launch the desktop, no need for ~/.xinitrc or any other configuration.
deadbang

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by cds60601 »

Well - I opted for a package called Package-update-indicator. Its a gtk app and it works pretty well. No need to create a script as this is called within the i3 config.
Does what I want it to and sits nicely in the tray :)

Along the same topic - I wonder why polybar was never picked up and a package created. I know a significant amount of time is needed to be a maint - but I sometimes wish there was a version of the AUR for Deb. In any event, it not a difficult thing to grab from git and compile. Now I need to see if Termite is a package :)