Reasons to not use GNOME 3

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: Reasons to not use GNOME 3

Postby sunrat » 2019-07-09 02:04

Deb-fan wrote:They just have bad taste. :D

Haha! :mrgreen: I tried Gnome (2?) ages ago and didn't like it so never used it since. Then I see a few posts that people don't like KDE and their opinion is based on trying KDE4. KDE Plasma 5 is a totally different beast and I really like it and use it on most installs. Maybe I should try Gnome 3 sometime although the number of posts I see about failure to configure or find options is disturbing. If I want to change something in a DE I expect to find the option in the Settings menu, not some optional plugin or mystery text file somewhere.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-07-09 02:53

If someone were to ask what are the premier desktops in gnu/Linux are, realistically somebody would have to answer Gnome and KDE with both getting the lions share of professional efforts and attention. Last time I'd dorked with KDE was literally 2002. Am sure both can be great but I'll always be a resource miser and when OP said "can just get Gnome to run" or something similar to me strongly suggests, not right DE for the box. Still they're liking it and that's endgame. For me #! (Crunchbang gnu/linux) forever ruined me for anything but ultra-light Nix.

Openbox does everything I need and then some at sub-100mbs(32/64bit). For a full featured OS in 2019, think that's not too shabby.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby Onsemeliot » 2019-07-09 04:37

4D696B65 wrote:Auto Move Windows

Thank you for the tip. I did encounter this extension but the name didn't really suggest to me that it would fit to my needs. So I disregarded it without looking closer into it. But I have to admit the comments concerning the extension not working properly aren't really promising. But there is surely no harm in testing it.

Zjho wrote:An intermittent bug my system suffered while recovering from suspend was main reason for no longer using Gnome3. ... Surprising to me, since switching to Xfce about three months ago, there has been no problem.

Interesting, I have had the exact opposite experience. This has been a major reason to shy away from Xfce so far. When I tried Debian Stretch with Xfce I constantly had login issues after the system went to suspense mode. I always had to login twice and to wait for about a minute at a black screen in between in order to be able to finally get to the normal desktop again. I never had such a problem when using GNOME so far. I can remember reading on Slant something about people having problems with logins in multi user setups when using Xfce and figured this might be the same issue even if I have a singe user setup.

And thank all the others for contributing your further thoughts also.
Onsemeliot

Postby 4D696B65 » 2019-07-09 16:06

Onsemeliot wrote:
4D696B65 wrote:Auto Move Windows

Thank you for the tip. I did encounter this extension but the name didn't really suggest to me that it would fit to my needs. So I disregarded it without looking closer into it. But I have to admit the comments concerning the extension not working properly aren't really promising. But there is surely no harm in testing it.

I just noticed it in gnome tweak tool and it came from our repo, not gnome site. Maybe our devs fixed it.
4D696B65

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia