Seahorse doesn't import my keys

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Seahorse doesn't import my keys

Postby Onsemeliot » 2019-07-07 12:19

I just installed the brand new Debian Buster and wanted to include the keys from my backup. Despite trying it several times Seahorse didn't do anything when I selected my keys and pressed the import button. I had to use the terminal to actually import it.

I am uncertain if the lack of feedback is intended or if I miss something. Also if I import my backup from Evolution the window just stays at the file selection screen not giving me any feedback. The only reason I guess that it is actually trying to import anything is because I can see the flickering light of my external drive. (The backup has over 22 GB.) With Evolution I am used to this behaviour and I didn't expect any different but with Seahorse there obviously is not only the UI less than optimal but really a functional issue.

I have looked on the Seahorse / GNOME web page but couldn't find a way to give feedback. I am uncertain how or where I should file this bug report. Do you have any suggestions?
Onsemeliot

Re: Seahorse doesn't import my keys

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-07-07 13:05

Onsemeliot wrote:I am uncertain how or where I should file this bug report.

See https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting (and the link in my signature).

Also check ~/.xsession-errors and the systemd journal for anything relevant.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Onsemeliot » 2019-07-07 15:20

Thank you for the pointer. 8)
Onsemeliot

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-07-29 07:17

Today I am working on an other system with Debian Buster and here Seahorse doesn't even allow me to access the details of my personal GPG key. The application just freezes as soon as I attempt to display the details of my key and shortly afterwards GNOME asks me if I want to end the application because it doesn't respond any more. If I attempt to file an other bug report I am told there is already a newer version of the package in the Debian archive and that I should check if it solves the problem.

I have checked the online archive of the Debian packages and found that there is only a newer version in the testing branch, with I didn't intend to use. But I have enabled the backports repository and always assumed I therefore would be offered backported versions as soon as they are available.

Does this situation mean that there is just no backport available yet and that the reportbug application is basically advising me to switch to testing?
Onsemeliot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-07-29 18:56

Onsemeliot wrote:I have enabled the backports repository and always assumed I therefore would be offered backported versions as soon as they are available

The backports repository InRelase file has
Code: Select all
NotAutomatic: yes
ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes

This means that packages must be explicitly installed from there (using apt(8)'s --target switch) and will only be updated from there if they have been targetted.

Onsemeliot wrote:Does this situation mean that there is just no backport available yet and that the reportbug application is basically advising me to switch to testing?

Not necessarily — for serious bugs the Debian developers may apply fixes to the stable packages.

Can you test the bullseye live image?
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-07-30 05:33

Thank you, Head_on_a_Stick.

Unfortunately, I don't understand how I could actually use the .content files on the page you linked since I only get blank pages when I am trying to access it or if I download it and attempt to open it in a text editor I get empty files. (And the always present additional log files don't seem to be useful to me either.) I am used to find ISO images on such lists. Is it possible that there are live images planed but not available yet?

If I understand the status of the bug correctly it hasn't been fixed in version 3.36 anyway – which should be the one included in Bullseye – because the bug has been confirmed again on Ubuntu 20.04 which seems to include Seahorse 3.36.

Anyway, maybe there has been a fix for the Debian version. But when I try to manually install the newer version from the backports repository the output seems to show that there is actually no newer version available also:
Code: Select all
# apt-get -t buster-backports install seahorse
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
seahorse is already the newest version (3.30.1.1-1).
Onsemeliot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-07-30 18:33

Onsemeliot wrote:Unfortunately, I don't understand how I could actually use the .content files on the page you linked

Oops, sorry, that page usually contains ISO images but not at the moment. Not sure why they're not there though :?

Onsemeliot wrote:when I try to manually install the newer version from the backports repository the output seems to show that there is actually no newer version available also

No, there is no backport of that package.

If it gets fixed upstream then you could try to backport it yourself once it makes it into sid: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-08-02 09:07

Thank you especially for the link to this "howto backport" link. It is the first one I encountered that I can understand and that doesn't totally overwhelm me. Of course it doesn't describe howto create official public backports but it does seem to be a good first step that I should be able to manage.

I find interesting that experimental includes an older version than sid. Mabe this is because the newest versions don't have everything included yet. On the other hand I thought everything included in more stable versions has first been introduced in a less stable version from where every package moves up to a more stable version after it has been proven to be stable enough to be included there.
Onsemeliot

Return to Desktop & Multimedia