Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privileges

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privileges

Postby 4joeyirosh1 » 2019-07-10 11:02

Hi!I have upgraded from Debian 9.9 Stretch to Debian 10 Buster 64 bit.

Periodically,the pop up dialog box below appears even when I havent tried to open Synaptic Package Manager

You are using Wayland environment, Synaptic will continue without administrative privileges.
To make Synaptic fully functional, please restart your session without Wayland.

When I open Synaptic Package Manager,I get the message

Starting "Synaptic Package Manager" without administrative privileges.You will not be able to apply any changes,but you can still export the marked changes or create a download script for them

How can I resolve this?
4joeyirosh1

Re: Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privile

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-10 11:05

Wheelerof4te

Postby 4joeyirosh1 » 2019-07-10 12:14

Wheelerof4te wrote:Log in to GNOME on Xorg and you will be able to use Synaptic.

From further research,I found the link https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable- ... aver-linux for Ubuntu 18.04.Debian 10 doesnt seem to have the file /etc/gdm3/custom.conf instead I found the commented text #WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf which I uncommented and reboot my machine.After reboot,I can access Synaptic Package Manager without errors.

I shall monitor the situation for a few days hoping no more errors persist.
4joeyirosh1

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-10 20:04

No need to modify any configuration files, just log in to Xorg session from GDM. And synaptic will work.
Wheelerof4te

Postby theblueplll » 2019-07-10 22:48

It was only pointed out months ago that Synaptic and Wayland don't like each other.
theblueplll

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-07-11 00:56

Read the docs or run under Xorg VS Wayland. Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)
Deb-fan

Postby theblueplll » 2019-07-11 15:32

Deb-fan wrote:Read the docs or run under Xorg VS Wayland. Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)

Oh boy thanks for the laugh.

I must admit I use Synaptic now and then to do searches but always use apt to install.
theblueplll

Postby giaur » 2019-07-11 15:39

Deb-fan wrote:Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)

That's funny, but it's also bullshit. As I know cli package manager, I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic. I use cli when no gui available, otherwise I alwasy use gui. If somebody preffers cli, always, for everyday use as desktop (not servers administration), he apparently lost his mind and he must be insane. Even more insane though, is expectation that everybody will preffer cli.
giaur

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-11 16:07

giaur wrote:he apparently lost his mind and he must be insane. Even more insane though, is expectation that everybody will preffer cli.

apt is indeed much faster and, despite what you may think, easier to use for some of us.
Anyway, no one bothered to port Synaptic to Wayland and it is not working on that session. Your options are clear, so there's no need for you to attack people here with no reason.
Wheelerof4te

Postby giaur » 2019-07-11 16:19

That is not attack, but I can't understand how cli could be easier to use, especially to advanced search or browse list if available packages. And saying "cli ias always preffered" is wrong in my opinion - cli is never preffered on desktop. 21st century now, cli is to be used on servers by admins, not for regular user on desktop pc.

Btw, there is also Gnome Software and afaik it works on Wayland.
giaur

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-07-11 17:13

giaur wrote:I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic

viewtopic.php?p=701970#p701970
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby theblueplll » 2019-07-11 17:26

giaur wrote:That is not attack, but I can't understand how cli could be easier to use, especially to advanced search or browse list if available packages. And saying "cli ias always preffered" is wrong in my opinion - cli is never preffered on desktop. 21st century now, cli is to be used on servers by admins, not for regular user on desktop pc.

Btw, there is also Gnome Software and afaik it works on Wayland.

I hear that there is an entire OS that does what you're looking for.
theblueplll

Postby giaur » 2019-07-11 18:05

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
giaur wrote:I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic

viewtopic.php?p=701970#p701970

And? Let me clarify. In most cases I use Synaptic, but I know cli and I am also able to use it when needed. Also, I hate Gnome3 and I see no benefits from using Wayland.

Anyway, I think Synaptic will be eventually adopted to use with Wayland.
giaur

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-11 18:11

giaur wrote:Also, I hate Gnome3 and I see no benefits from using Wayland.

Why did you install it, then? Debian gives you a choice of DE options during the network installation. This hateful mentality towards people who volunteer to make great, free software has to go. It is honestly repulsive.
Wheelerof4te

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-07-11 18:14

giaur wrote:And?

And there is something wrong with using synaptic: it is not possible to use it to upgrade between releases. Furthermore, running the entire GUI as root is stupid and exposes many potential bugs; only the actual update, upgrade & install actions should have elevated privileges. The synaptic developers need to work on this and improve their program.

giaur wrote:I see no benefits from using Wayland

That's because you are ignorant.
Debian developers wrote:Wayland has a simpler and more modern design, which has advantages for security.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... t-on-gnome
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia