Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privileges

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
4joeyirosh1

Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privileges

#1 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Hi!I have upgraded from Debian 9.9 Stretch to Debian 10 Buster 64 bit.

Periodically,the pop up dialog box below appears even when I havent tried to open Synaptic Package Manager
You are using Wayland environment, Synaptic will continue without administrative privileges.
To make Synaptic fully functional, please restart your session without Wayland.
When I open Synaptic Package Manager,I get the message
Starting "Synaptic Package Manager" without administrative privileges.You will not be able to apply any changes,but you can still export the marked changes or create a download script for them
How can I resolve this?

Wheelerof4te

Re: Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privile

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

4joeyirosh1

#3 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Log in to GNOME on Xorg and you will be able to use Synaptic.
From further research,I found the link https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable- ... aver-linux for Ubuntu 18.04.Debian 10 doesnt seem to have the file /etc/gdm3/custom.conf instead I found the commented text #WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf which I uncommented and reboot my machine.After reboot,I can access Synaptic Package Manager without errors.

I shall monitor the situation for a few days hoping no more errors persist.

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

No need to modify any configuration files, just log in to Xorg session from GDM. And synaptic will work.

theblueplll

#5 Post by theblueplll »

It was only pointed out months ago that Synaptic and Wayland don't like each other.

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Read the docs or run under Xorg VS Wayland. Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

theblueplll

#7 Post by theblueplll »

Deb-fan wrote:Read the docs or run under Xorg VS Wayland. Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)
Oh boy thanks for the laugh.

I must admit I use Synaptic now and then to do searches but always use apt to install.

giaur

#8 Post by giaur »

Deb-fan wrote:Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)
That's funny, but it's also bullshit. As I know cli package manager, I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic. I use cli when no gui available, otherwise I alwasy use gui. If somebody preffers cli, always, for everyday use as desktop (not servers administration), he apparently lost his mind and he must be insane. Even more insane though, is expectation that everybody will preffer cli.

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

giaur wrote:he apparently lost his mind and he must be insane. Even more insane though, is expectation that everybody will preffer cli.
apt is indeed much faster and, despite what you may think, easier to use for some of us.
Anyway, no one bothered to port Synaptic to Wayland and it is not working on that session. Your options are clear, so there's no need for you to attack people here with no reason.

giaur

#10 Post by giaur »

That is not attack, but I can't understand how cli could be easier to use, especially to advanced search or browse list if available packages. And saying "cli ias always preffered" is wrong in my opinion - cli is never preffered on desktop. 21st century now, cli is to be used on servers by admins, not for regular user on desktop pc.

Btw, there is also Gnome Software and afaik it works on Wayland.

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur wrote:I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=701970#p701970
deadbang

theblueplll

#12 Post by theblueplll »

giaur wrote:That is not attack, but I can't understand how cli could be easier to use, especially to advanced search or browse list if available packages. And saying "cli ias always preffered" is wrong in my opinion - cli is never preffered on desktop. 21st century now, cli is to be used on servers by admins, not for regular user on desktop pc.

Btw, there is also Gnome Software and afaik it works on Wayland.
I hear that there is an entire OS that does what you're looking for.

giaur

#13 Post by giaur »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
giaur wrote:I absolutely see nothing wrong with using gui like Synaptic
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=701970#p701970
And? Let me clarify. In most cases I use Synaptic, but I know cli and I am also able to use it when needed. Also, I hate Gnome3 and I see no benefits from using Wayland.

Anyway, I think Synaptic will be eventually adopted to use with Wayland.

Wheelerof4te

#14 Post by Wheelerof4te »

giaur wrote:Also, I hate Gnome3 and I see no benefits from using Wayland.
Why did you install it, then? Debian gives you a choice of DE options during the network installation. This hateful mentality towards people who volunteer to make great, free software has to go. It is honestly repulsive.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur wrote:And?
And there is something wrong with using synaptic: it is not possible to use it to upgrade between releases. Furthermore, running the entire GUI as root is stupid and exposes many potential bugs; only the actual update, upgrade & install actions should have elevated privileges. The synaptic developers need to work on this and improve their program.
giaur wrote:I see no benefits from using Wayland
That's because you are ignorant.
Debian developers wrote:Wayland has a simpler and more modern design, which has advantages for security.
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... t-on-gnome
deadbang

4joeyirosh1

#16 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:No need to modify any configuration files, just log in to Xorg session from GDM. And synaptic will work.
Kindly advise on how to
just log in to Xorg session from GDM

Wheelerof4te

#17 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Kindly click on that wheel on the log in screen and select "GNOME on Xorg".

giaur

#18 Post by giaur »

Hopefully, there are many opinions and I can choose what I want to use and what I don't want. You don't like any gui and you wish to do everything in terminal, ok your choice. I have never had any problems with updating with Synaptic, it always does the same packages upgrade as apt in cli.

Regarding to Wayland, please show me any noticeable improvement in user experience other than some stuff not compatible anymore. I think Wayland will eventually replace Xorg (unless other better solution will be created), but not yet. Afaik only Gnome3 and Plasma currently support Wayland. It's still being worked on and it's not stable yet.

Btw, regarding to Synaptic run as root - only installation process should be run as root, no need to run entire app as root, no root needed to browse packages.

Wheelerof4te

#19 Post by Wheelerof4te »

giaur wrote: it always does the same packages upgrade as apt in cli.
It can't upgrade to another release, as it can't prompt you to accept new release suite change. It also has whacky dependency resolution, when compared to plain apt. That's why I avoided it, well other than security stuff.

Wayland itself is not a topic of this thread. Open a new thread if you want to discuss it, but I warn you we have 1000's of those already disquised as GNOME bashing threads.
giaur wrote:Afaik only Gnome3 and Plasma currently support Wayland.
Nah, there's also a whole pack of compositors based on wlroots, led by magnificent Sway.
giaur wrote: regarding to Synaptic run as root - only installation process should be run as root,
When you run synaptic to install packages, entire program runs as root. That's the problem.

Deb-fan

#20 Post by Deb-fan »

Kitten killer!! No worries, appreciate Synaptic for what it is, amazing work by whichever software dev(s). Though you won't catch me installing it, I don need no stinkin Synaptic! :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *