Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Minitube already bust in Buster?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kedaha

Is Minitube already bust in Buster?

#1 Post by kedaha »

Does it work for anyone? I tried Minitube and the youtube videos miniatures start to appear on the left and continually flick down without stopping. So the solution would appear to be to build it oneself or use the ready-made deb from the upstream site.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

theblueplll

Re: Is Minitube already bust in Buster?

#2 Post by theblueplll »

kedaha wrote:Does it work for anyone? I tried Minitube and the youtube videos miniatures start to appear on the left and continually flick down without stopping. So the solution would appear to be to build it oneself or use the ready-made deb from the upstream site.
spyware

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

theblueplll wrote:
kedaha wrote:Does it work for anyone? I tried Minitube and the youtube videos miniatures start to appear on the left and continually flick down without stopping. So the solution would appear to be to build it oneself or use the ready-made deb from the upstream site.
spyware
Anything to back up that assertion? Debian has spyware in the repository?

Sid has a newer 3.1 release that might work if it's backported. Backporting does not mean make a FrankenDebian--some newbies seem too eager to do that.
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

stevepusser wrote:Sid has a newer 3.1 release that might work if it's backported. Backporting does not mean make a FrankenDebian--some newbies seem too eager to do that.
Thanks, steve; the newer 3.1 release currently available in sid works fine; I made a quick backport for it the same way I did a good while back in wheezy as posted in my viewtopic.php?f=20&t=104399 Yes, better in principle to use the version backported from sid rather than using a package built from the upstream source.
DebianStable

$ vrms

theblueplll

#5 Post by theblueplll »

stevepusser wrote: Anything to back up that assertion? Debian has spyware in the repository?
Yup just read the license agrement and privacy statement from the developers website.

Shouldn't surprise since KDE(data collection), and Gnome(geoloaction) is in the repo also read about those too.
PopularityContest(more data collection though you can opt out of this one)

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Let's say I'm very busy and don't have time to hunt for these statements if they don't have obvious links on the home page:

https://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

Can you provide links to the statements and where you think they say that they are spyware? If you are correct, then a bug report to that effect should be filed against the package.

Remember that Debian is providing the same Debian Google API key for every minitube package, the same as they do for Totem's Youtube feature, so you aren't giving up any data in that way.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I had a couple spare minutes, so set up minitube 3.1 backports for Debian Buster and Raspian: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... a/minitube

I have some Stretch backports cooking, but they need additional backports to be done first.

Since it uses libmpv for playback, if you have GPU hardware video decoding working in mpv, the minitube videos also play back with the hardware decoding, so the CPU use doesn't go up even a whisker.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Stretch backports are in this repo, which already had the ffmpeg 4 and mpv 0.29 packages that it needed to build:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 4/minitube

theblueplll

#9 Post by theblueplll »

stevepusser wrote:Let's say I'm very busy and don't have time to hunt for these statements.
Really?

https://flavio.tordini.org/privacy
Information Collection And Use

We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
Types of Data Collected
Personal Data

While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:

Email address
First name and last name
Cookies and Usage Data
Use of Data

Application uses the collected data for various purposes:

To provide and maintain the Service
To notify you about changes to our Service
To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
To provide customer care and support
To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Service
To monitor the usage of the Service
To detect, prevent and address technical issues
Transfer Of Data

Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.

If you are located outside Italy and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Italy and process it there.
Disclosure Of Data
Legal Requirements

Application may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:

To comply with a legal obligation

To protect against legal liability
In other words they bend over to government agencies and LE and don't give a crap about your privacy

Service Providers

We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.

These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Analytics

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

It looks like a boilerplate website privacy statement to me. If you have any real evidence that minitube is doing telemetry, such as monitoring it with wireshark, file a bug against it immediately with Debian so that can be removed. But mere suspicion is not a bug.

theblueplll

#11 Post by theblueplll »

stevepusser wrote:if you have any real evidence that minitube is doing telemetry
Their statement saying that they do is pretty much real evidence..

I don't want nor ever intended to get into an argument over this.
The spyware thing was more of a passing joke but any software that collects and analyzes data and then shares it with a third party is pretty much spyware.

So I guess my point is why use this thing you might as well just use google(which does most of this anyway so why double it up).

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

SMTube is a similar application, but might be less suspicious to you. But it also needs to be kept updated to keep up with Youtube API changes.

https://repology.org/project/smtube/versions

Debian isn't doing very well in that regard, but I do keep it updated for MX Linux. The MX 15 packages are built on vanilla Jessie pbuilders and the MX 17 on Stretch. The MX19 ones are built on Buster.

theblueplll

#13 Post by theblueplll »

stevepusser wrote: Debian isn't doing very well in that regard,
The thing is that(I think correct me if I am wrong) stuff like that comes from non free and conrtib.
So we almost can't blame Debian but then again they let it be in their repo.

kedaha

#14 Post by kedaha »

Yes, the license quoted from above certainly looks a bit intrusive.
It goes without saying that binary packages backported from source available in the main unstable repository have not been tested for security so, until one is quite sure, it could be run by using firejail "a SUID security sandbox program that reduces the risk of security breaches by restricting the running environment of untrusted applications."
DebianStable

$ vrms

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

theblueplll wrote:
stevepusser wrote: Debian isn't doing very well in that regard,
The thing is that(I think correct me if I am wrong) stuff like that comes from non free and conrtib.
So we almost can't blame Debian but then again they let it be in their repo.
Well, you're wrong, as you can see the full original source tarballs in the repos, they are in Debian's main repo, and they are released under DFSG-compliant licenses. It's just that SMTube is orphaned in Debian, apparently. The developer also maintains Debian repos for it on the OBS, however, and that was my inspiration to learn how to use the OBS myself for package building and hosting.

theblueplll

#16 Post by theblueplll »

stevepusser wrote:
Well, you're wrong, as you can see the full original source tarballs in the repos, they are in Debian's main repo, and they are released under DFSG-compliant licenses. It's just that SMTube is orphaned in Debian, apparently. The developer also maintains Debian repos for it on the OBS, however, and that was my inspiration to learn how to use the OBS myself for package building and hosting.
You claim to know so much about the application yet didn't know what the privacy policy was or where to find it?

You are either full of crap or not too bright.