Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
HappyGilmore

Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

#1 Post by HappyGilmore »

I have upgrade by mistake to debian buster 10. By that statement means, I am noob. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Now my laptop screen is upside down. I have try to change it in the display options but there is not a option anymore.
Only way, I have found me to get to the screen right side up is to connect another monitor to the laptop via VGA.
When, I do that everything works fine for screens. So as I disconnected the extra monitor, the laptop screen flips back to being upside down.

I have search many many forums find out that big change in the display controller.

I have HP Elitebook 850
Please any help will be very much helpful

ruwolf

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

#2 Post by ruwolf »

What desktop environment do you use? Gnome? KDE? Xfce? LXDE? LXQt? Cinnamon? Or something else?
Or more precisely: Where exactly have you changed it?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

it might mess up your Mouse control but...

If you have xrandr and arandr (a simple visual end for xrandr). Then go arandr>Outputs>(Choose the one that is black)>Orientation =invert

To get back you go Oriention=normal.

HappyGilmore

#4 Post by HappyGilmore »

ruwolf wrote:What desktop environment do you use? Gnome? KDE? Xfce? LXDE? LXQt? Cinnamon? Or something else?
Or more precisely: Where exactly have you changed it?
I when I was installed debian, I did not pick anything besides the standard option. I did select the addition options like.
When I go to details about debian now, is says Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Graphics Intel Haswell Moblie
GNOME 3.30.2

HappyGilmore

#5 Post by HappyGilmore »

arochester wrote:it might mess up your Mouse control but...

If you have xrandr and arandr (a simple visual end for xrandr). Then go arandr>Outputs>(Choose the one that is black)>Orientation =invert

To get back you go Oriention=normal.
I did try xrandr,
I try xrandr -o normal, xrandr -1 normal, xrandr etc.. also try to just get xrandr --display to work same error as listed below
Each time I did that I would get this same error message
No protocol specified
Can't open display :0

I found out that message goes with x11 and that buster change to wayland

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

HappyGilmore wrote:When I go to details about debian now, is says Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Somehow you have changed it to Debian testing. As you say you are new to this, that is bad as testing gets tons of upgrades and can break without warning. I suggest you reinstall and make sure you have Buster, the stable version of Debian.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

HappyGilmore

#7 Post by HappyGilmore »

I saw this error message when the laptop is booting up.
[ 0.087470] [Firmware Bug] :TSC_DEADLINE disable due to Errata; please update microcode to version : 0x20 (or later)

HappyGilmore

#8 Post by HappyGilmore »

Update,
testing out, to see if the issue with upside down monitor still happens if no power to the second monitor. No issues main monitor works fine.
I check the display setting for the unknown monitor, I can change orientation.
So looks like might need to figure out the video driver issue with the built-in-display.

This is interesting issue here

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Post the full output of xrandr.
deadbang

HappyGilmore

#10 Post by HappyGilmore »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Post the full output of xrandr.
Sorry for the late reply,
You are wanting logs or screen shot
Sorry I am new at this ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Open a terminal, run the xrandr command then copy&paste the output here using code tags.
deadbang

HappyGilmore

#12 Post by HappyGilmore »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Open a terminal, run the xrandr command then copy&paste the output here using code tags.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# xrandr
No protocol specified
Can't open display :0
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool#

HappyGilmore

#13 Post by HappyGilmore »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Open a terminal, run the xrandr command then copy&paste the output here using code tags.
Non-root command

One monitor
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
XWAYLAND0 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
1366x768 59.80*+

Two monitor
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2390 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
XWAYLAND0 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
1366x768 59.80*+
XWAYLAND1 connected 1024x768+1366+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 59.92*+

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

HappyGilmore wrote:I have upgrade by mistake to debian buster 10
^ This statement makes me think that perhaps your system is a bit broken.

Can we see

Code: Select all

apt policy
In respect of your inversion problem, please share your desktop environment of choice with us. Have you tried the GUI tool for display configuration in your desktop?
deadbang

HappyGilmore

#15 Post by HappyGilmore »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:I have upgrade by mistake to debian buster 10
^ This statement makes me think that perhaps your system is a bit broken.

Can we see

apt policy
In respect of your inversion problem, please share your desktop environment of choice with us. Have you tried the GUI tool for display configuration in your desktop?
Update, I did a clean install on this laptop same issues

Here is my output you request
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt policy
Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main amd64 Packages
release v=10,o=Debian,a=stable,n=buster,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
origin security.debian.org
500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
release v=10.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=buster,l=Debian,c=non-free,b=amd64
origin ftp.de.debian.org
500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
release v=10.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=buster,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin ftp.de.debian.org
500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
release v=10.0,o=Debian,a=stable,n=buster,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:

I did not select desktop environments when I installed this new image or when I installed Debian 9.9

Only thing new to report after doing a new installed is this
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$ xrandr -o normal
Failed to change the screen configuration!
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$ xrandr -o inverted
Failed to change the screen configuration!

In the GUI of display, there is no option for orientation. There is orientation options when, I connected a monitor

ruwolf

#16 Post by ruwolf »

It seems to me, that you have not added contrib packages.

HappyGilmore

#17 Post by HappyGilmore »

ruwolf wrote:It seems to me, that you have not added contrib packages.
Here is my /etc/apt/sources.list file

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib

# buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib

You can see the contrib is listed there, what other contrib am I missing more information please

ruwolf

#18 Post by ruwolf »

You have buster main doubled (but it is not problem, only confusion).
Here it is missing:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free

HappyGilmore

#19 Post by HappyGilmore »

ruwolf wrote:You have buster main doubled (but it is not problem, only confusion).
Here it is missing:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
Okay, I have added that to my sources list and commented out the duplicate lines as well

Here is my output after running that
: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (non-free/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons (non-free/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (non-free/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
W: Target DEP-11-icons (non-free/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:10 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11

L_V

#20 Post by L_V »

First, you don't need the lines deb-src . you can add # at beginning of the lines

# deb-src ..................... 
Second, you don't need this duplicate for main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main non-free
You comment one with #

# deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
And then, what gives output of this ?

grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list

dpkg -l | grep firmware

apt update
apt policy firmware-amd-graphics
If you see firmware-amd-graphics which is not installed, install it.