Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 16:09

HappyGilmore wrote:
L_V wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:
Code: Select all
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free

Wrong man. You need to learn how to edit a text file, or you did not understand what I explained.

To make it simple, backup your sources.list, and create this one /etc/apt/sources.list
Code: Select all
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free

Code: Select all
apt update
apt install firmware-misc-nonfree



thank you
here is the output

root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get update
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease [39.1 kB]
Hit:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main amd64 Packages [50.7 kB]
Get:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main Translation-en [27.5 kB]
Fetched 117 kB in 1s (171 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt install firmware-misc-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
firmware-misc-nonfree is already the newest version (20190114-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool#



reboot no change man
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 16:11

Then you need an expert. May be some boot options are necessary. I cannot test.
That's all for me.
and reminder... you can remove firmware-amd-graphics.
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 16:46

L_V wrote:Then you need an expert. May be some boot options are necessary. I cannot test.
That's all for me.
and reminder... you can remove firmware-amd-graphics.


L_V
thank you very much for all your help really.
I did remove firmware-amd-graphics with apt-get remove firmware-amd-graphics command not installed it says

Side question, what is your idea of best full backup software for a noob like me
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 17:27

First, to be consistent with the thread, is libgl1-mesa-dri installed ? A bit surprised of your problem with i915 module.

May be what you describe needs some clarification:
"Now my laptop screen is upside down. I have try to change it in the display options but there is not a option anymore. "

At least, you have now a working light and clean sources.list.
==============
Concerning backup tools, it really depends on the real need.
I never backup a system, because I found this totally useless, ... for my use, and even dangerous.
You need to save your /home partition or directory.
May be too late, but important to install with home on a separate partition.

Now which program.....
In command line: rsync. You need some time to learn it. Powerful, but ..... not immediate.
In GUI mode, could be luckybackup , or borgbackup (Debian package), with its GUI (it exists somewhere) [ vorta ].
The specificity of borg is to not only sync efficiently, but also to keep history, if needed.
All this needs real time for investigation. No obvious solution.
And ... this is not the subject !
==============
Now back to i915....
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 18:17

L_V wrote:First, to be consistent with the thread, is libgl1-mesa-dri installed ? A bit surprised of your problem with i915 module.

May be what you describe needs some clarification:
"Now my laptop screen is upside down. I have try to change it in the display options but there is not a option anymore. "

At least, you have now a working light and clean sources.list.
==============
Concerning backup tools, it really depends on the real need.
I never backup a system, because I found this totally useless, ... for my use, and even dangerous.
You need to save your /home partition or directory.
May be too late, but important to install with home on a separate partition.

Now which program.....
In command line: rsync. You need some time to learn it. Powerful, but ..... not immediate.
In GUI mode, could be luckybackup , or borgbackup (Debian package), with its GUI (it exists somewhere) [ vorta ].
The specificity of borg is to not only sync efficiently, but also to keep history, if needed.
All this needs real time for investigation. No obvious solution.
And ... this is not the subject !
==============
Now back to i915....



back to i915

root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libgl1-mesa-dri is already the newest version (18.3.6-2).
libgl1-mesa-dri set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool#

When I turn on the laptop and welcome screen there. I see my username is and background picture debian 10. it is upside down
I press enter to type my password and I get into the system no issue.
The activities icon that is normal right side up on the left top area is now, bottom right corner.
To move my cursor or arrow keys have to do the opposite way you would if your screen is right side up.
When I plug in a vga cable into the vga port on the side of my laptop. Everything is right side up(aka normal screen you would see when starting up any pc)
I can pull out the vga cable and sometimes the screen will flip upside down again or the laptop will go back to login screen for me to login again also anything that was open will be closed. Or the nothing happens until I reboot the system.
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 18:45

Can you install inxi , and give output of
Code: Select all
inxi -G
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 18:58

L_V wrote:Can you install inxi , and give output of
Code: Select all
inxi -G


Here is the output
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get install inxi -G
E: Command line option 'G' [from -G] is not understood in combination with the other options.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get install inxi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
dnsutils hddtemp libglew2.1 libirs161 lm-sensors mesa-utils tree
Suggested packages:
rblcheck libcpanel-json-xs-perl | libjson-xs-perl libxml-dumper-perl
glew-utils fancontrol read-edid i2c-tools
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dnsutils hddtemp inxi libglew2.1 libirs161 lm-sensors mesa-utils tree
0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,281 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,518 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libirs161 amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [237 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 dnsutils amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [365 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 hddtemp amd64 0.3-beta15-53 [57.5 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 inxi all 3.0.32-1-1 [262 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libglew2.1 amd64 2.1.0-4 [161 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 lm-sensors amd64 1:3.5.0-3 [114 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 mesa-utils amd64 8.4.0-1+b1 [34.9 kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 tree amd64 1.8.0-1 [49.3 kB]
Fetched 1,281 kB in 3s (390 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package libirs161:amd64.
(Reading database ... 133417 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../0-libirs161_1%3a9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libirs161:amd64 (1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package dnsutils.
Preparing to unpack .../1-dnsutils_1%3a9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dnsutils (1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package hddtemp.
Preparing to unpack .../2-hddtemp_0.3-beta15-53_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking hddtemp (0.3-beta15-53) ...
Selecting previously unselected package inxi.
Preparing to unpack .../3-inxi_3.0.32-1-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking inxi (3.0.32-1-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libglew2.1:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../4-libglew2.1_2.1.0-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libglew2.1:amd64 (2.1.0-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package lm-sensors.
Preparing to unpack .../5-lm-sensors_1%3a3.5.0-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking lm-sensors (1:3.5.0-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mesa-utils.
Preparing to unpack .../6-mesa-utils_8.4.0-1+b1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mesa-utils (8.4.0-1+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package tree.
Preparing to unpack .../7-tree_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking tree (1.8.0-1) ...
Setting up inxi (3.0.32-1-1) ...
Setting up libirs161:amd64 (1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1) ...
Setting up dnsutils (1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1) ...
Setting up tree (1.8.0-1) ...
Setting up lm-sensors (1:3.5.0-3) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lm-sensors.service → /lib/systemd/system/lm-sensors.service.
Setting up libglew2.1:amd64 (2.1.0-4) ...
Setting up hddtemp (0.3-beta15-53) ...
Setting up mesa-utils (8.4.0-1+b1) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...

rebooting now


Same issue
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 19:09

No, you don't understand.
1 - install inxi => "apt install inxi " (not with -G , and I did not request this output).
2 - give the ouput of "inxi -G"

The purpose is not to "solve" anything, but to get the ouput of a command.
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 19:29

L_V wrote:No, you don't understand.
1 - install inxi => "apt install inxi " (not with -G , and I did not request this output).
2 - give the ouput of "inxi -G"

The purpose is not to "solve" anything, but to get the ouput of a command.


Okay, here is the output
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: wayland server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: i915 tty: 80x24
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable for root.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# exit
exit
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: wayland server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: i915
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz, 1024x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6
securitytool@SecurityTool:~$

thank you !!!
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 19:43

Maybe to be investigated ... Wayland

I have => Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4

You have => Display: Wayland server: X.Org 1.20.4

Is Wayland the cause of your problem ... don't know. I have never used Wayland.
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 19:55

L_V wrote:May to tbe investigated ... Wayland

I have => Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4

You have => Display: Wayland server: X.Org 1.20.4

Is Wayland the cause of your problem ... don't know. I have never used Wayland.


L_V you have done a lot on this thread and you have do a lot helping me learn here too.
No worries, I read a few places that Wayland is replacing X.Org for buster.

Thank you very much for all your help, really thank you
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby L_V » 2019-07-26 20:03

HappyGilmore wrote: I read a few places that Wayland is replacing X.Org for buster.
Yes but you cannot jump to conclusion that Wayland is not a problem for your configuration.
I use Buster.. with Xorg and even don't know if I should switch to Wayland.
I never make "default" installation.
I have installed Buster a long time ago, and had some preference for Xorg ... at that time.

Then good luck, hoping you will find useful help.
L_V
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: 2007-03-19 09:04

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby Bloom » 2019-07-26 21:22

HappyGilmore wrote:Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libirs161 amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [237 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 dnsutils amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [365 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 hddtemp amd64 0.3-beta15-53 [57.5 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 inxi all 3.0.32-1-1 [262 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libglew2.1 amd64 2.1.0-4 [161 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 lm-sensors amd64 1:3.5.0-3 [114 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 mesa-utils amd64 8.4.0-1+b1 [34.9 kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 tree amd64 1.8.0-1 [49.3 kB]

This tells me you installed an "official" Debian without any non-free firmware and you probably need that for your screen.
Edit as root /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure they contain (for Buster:)
Code: Select all
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster main non-free

Then do apt update followed by apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade followed by (if all was successful without any errors) apt autoremove.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 194
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby HappyGilmore » 2019-07-26 23:55

Bloom wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libirs161 amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [237 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 dnsutils amd64 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1 [365 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 hddtemp amd64 0.3-beta15-53 [57.5 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 inxi all 3.0.32-1-1 [262 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 libglew2.1 amd64 2.1.0-4 [161 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 lm-sensors amd64 1:3.5.0-3 [114 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 mesa-utils amd64 8.4.0-1+b1 [34.9 kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 tree amd64 1.8.0-1 [49.3 kB]

This tells me you installed an "official" Debian without any non-free firmware and you probably need that for your screen.
Edit as root /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure they contain (for Buster:)
Code: Select all
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster main non-free

Then do apt update followed by apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade followed by (if all was successful without any errors) apt autoremove.



Trying this out here is my error message after trying apt-get update
W: GPG error: http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5C808C2B65558117
E: The repository 'http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.


root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt-get install dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package dist-upgrade
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool# apt autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@SecurityTool:/home/securitytool#
HappyGilmore
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2019-07-17 20:01

Re: Debian Buster 10 screen upside down now

Postby Bloom » 2019-07-27 07:05

Code: Select all
apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver pgpkeys.eu 5C808C2B65558117

Then apt update and the rest.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 194
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable